Flashback – 20 years: Colin Caton in goal, stars galore and an injury time winner

Colin Caton was a stand-in keeper for Ruthin Town 20 years ago today

Porthmadog 2 (E Jones 40, R Hughes 90 +4)
Rhuthun Town 1 (Prosser 88)
Cymru Alliance League – April 17, 2001

Three days after hammering Holywell 10-0 a much tougher assignment awaited Porthmadog at Y Traeth as they welcomed a strong Rhuthin outfit.

Port were without goal machine Carl Owen when facing a team that have proved to be their bogey side since returning to the Cymru Alliance.

From the off it was clear the visitors would pose Tony Roberts in the home goal far more problems than he had encountered against Holywell.

Neil Davies’ header came back off the post in the fifth minute, but was somehow prevented from crossing the line by the Port defenders.

A few minutes later, Port had another lucky escape when Calvin Davies’ shot was stopped on the line.

At the other end, Steven Pugh surged into the Rhuthun box, but was stopped by a good tackle from Richard Cooke,
Dafydd Evans’ long range attempt went only inches over the bar on 17 minutes.

Tony Roberts was called to action again at the opposite end, forced to make a brilliant save to deny Neil Davies.

Things looked bleak for the hosts on the half-hour when Mike Foster was harshly sent off after a miss-timed challenge on Cooke.

The foul led to an extreme reaction from the Rhuthun players.

Ten-man Port started to mount more pressure on the opposition defence. Emyr Jones was stopped by a last-gasp Rob Jones tackle, but seconds later he had given the hosts the lead.

Jones controlled the high ball, coolly beating Rhuthun stand-in goalkeeper Colin Caton, a Colwyn Bay outfield player, and tapping into the empty net.

Half-time: Porthmadog 1 Ruthin Town 0

In the second half, Port opted for a more cautious approach, as the 10-men tried to maintain their slender one goal cushion with Emyr Jones playing the lone striker.

Rhuthun took advantage of this more defence-minded play by Port with Huw Price going close early on.

Tony Roberts had to make a good save to keep out Cooke’s long range attempt and danger was somehow averted after a goalmouth scramble.

Rhuthun received a setback when Llion Roberts had to be stretchered off after tackling Emyr Jones on a run on goal. Following treatment Roberts was able to return to the field.

Two minutes from time it seemed that Rhuthun had salvaged a point when Tryfan Prosser powerfully drove home from a corner that was flicked on in his direction.

This spurred Port back into action, Kevin Roberts not far off with his shot.

With four minutes of injury time played, Port’s saviour came in the shape of sub Richard Hughes, who headed home at the far post from an Evans corner.

Porthmadog: Tony Roberts, Martin Jones, Warren Gibbs, Mike Foster, Neil Roberts, Steven Pugh, Dafydd Evans, Danny Hughes, Gareth Caughter (Richard Hughes), Kevin Roberts, Emyr Jones (Chris Williams).

Rhuthun: Colin Caton, Edwart Jones, Gari Lloyd, Rob Jones, Llion Roberts, Richard Cooke, Huw Price, Calvin Davies, Neil Davies, Tryfan Prosser, Mark Entwistle. Subs: Roger Beech, Simon Hulse, Gary Harris.

Many thanks to Iwan Gareth of the CPD Porthmadog website for this great report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: