Flashback – 10 years ago: Bangor City reach a fourth successive Welsh Cup final

Chris Jones (red) scored the winner for Bangor in the 2010-11 Welsh Cup semi-final against Connah’s Quay Nomads. This photo is from a friendly between Llangefni Town and Bangor taken by Dai Sinclair.

Bangor City 1 (Chris Jones 83)
Connah’s Quay Nomads 0
Welsh Cup semi-final – April 9, 2011 (at Belle Vue, Rhyl)

Chris Jones’ 83rd minute decider sent Bangor to a fourth successive Welsh Cup final on this date 10 years ago.

City enjoyed the better of the first half although Quay’s Jamie Petrie sliced wide to the right after Gary O’Toole crossed from the left.  

On eight minutes both sides had worries as a sickening clash of heads involving Les Davies and centre-half Andy Alston stopped play. Happily both were able to continue and complete the 90.

When play resumed Cymru Alliance top scorer 35-goal O’Toole threatened on the left but, not for the last time, the pacey Michael Johnston snuffed out the danger.

From then on it was City on the front foot with Chris Jones firing goalwards and Andy Alston handling in the six yard box, but on the blind side of the official.

Davies had a shot bravely blocked by right-back Ben Alston before Chris Jones cut in from the left but fired into the side-netting.

On the half hour Eddie Jebb’s swinging corner invited a towering header from Dave Morley but his effort flew over.  

The highlight of the first half was a 40 yard volley from Chris Roberts which Louis Mackin saved well by his right post..

Connah’s Quay, though, were still alive and kicking. Five minutes from the interval two corners ended with a header from Andy Alston which flew over.

As half time approached Morley first had a shot deflected into the crowd and then a free-kick palmed over by Mackin, both from the edge of the box.

A corner followed which Mackin misjudged but captain James Brewerton scooped off target.

Half-time: 0-0

Both Brewerton and Davies had chances early in the second half before on the hour Craig Garside took a painful blow and left the field to be replaced by flying winger Sion Edwards.

Another great effort followed as Brewerton latched onto a swirling cross from Edwards but his overhead kick was brilliantly headed off the line by left back Ben Collins.

City’s left back Chris Roberts was enjoying a fine afternoon and needed all his calm determination to keep out both O’Toole and Sam McNutt as they raced clear on the right edge of the blues’ box.

Midway through the half City won a free-kick on the edge of the D which Davies hammered goalwards. The wall did its job, Chris Roberts latched onto the loose ball but lashed wide.

Alan Bull rushed into the box on the left but rippled the side-netting as Bangor sought the all-important goal.

It came seven minutes from time as Chris Jones took a couple of steps back before firing an unstoppable drive into the top left hand corner from 25 yards.

There was still some 10 minutes to play – allowing for added time – and City negotiated them, winning three further corners and generally controlling possession.

Bangor: Paul Smith, Darren Moss, Chris Roberts, Dave Morley, James Brewerton, Michael Johnston, Chris Jones, Craig Garside (Sion Edwards 60), Les Davies, Eddie Jebb (Mark Smyth 73), Alan Bull (Clive Williams 90).

Nomads: Louis Mackin, Ben Alston, Ben Collins, Tom Baker (Mark McGregor 85), Andy Alston, Rob Jones, Jamie Petrie, Alan Hooley, Gary O’Toole, Danny Forde, Sam McNutt. 

Attendance: 877

Many thanks to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice website for another great match report.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: