Flashback – 10 years ago: Six goal thriller ends honours even at Central Park

Holywell’s John Haseldin (left) and Denbigh’s Ian Griffiths do battle in the 2011-12 season. Picture: Paul Griffiths DTFC

Denbigh Town 3 (Edwards pen 15, Evans 63, Beech 80)
Holywell Town 3 (O Roberts 25, 46 & 70)
Welsh Alliance League Division One
April 5, 2011

An Owain Roberts hat-trick was not quite enough to seal Holywell maximum points from this six-goal thriller at Central Park played 10 years ago today.

Hosts Denbigh began very brightly and deservedly went ahead, albeit from a dubious looking penalty decision.

A fizzled ball into the ‘Well box on 15 minutes struck a hand and the official pointed to the spot.

Eilir Edwards’ well-placed kick inched his side into the lead.

Holywell were far from daunted and began to dominate possession. They were level on 25 minutes, Roberts gleefully spanking home from six yards after fine build up play on the right.

Owain Roberts (red and black) banged in a hat-trick for Holywell

For Denbigh, Mark Roberts produced a driving run which gave him only the keeper to beat, but Dave Walsh blocked the first effort and Dan Henley cleared Roberts’ follow up header off the line.

Half-time: 1-1

Moments after the start of the second stanza Holywell were ahead. Roberts doubled his tally after great work from Paul Williams on the left and the goal grabber hit the net through a ruck of players.

Next was the goal of the game to draw the Central Park mob level, this on 63 minutes.

Ian Evans took advantage of a sit up and beg ball and hoisted a 40-yarder over Walsh.

Tenacious work from Denbigh’s Edwards then gave him room for a peach of a cross which Jon Slater nodded home, but referee Gray ruled the goal out for a shove on the last defender.

Ian Evans netted a wonder goal for Denbigh. Picture: Paul Griffiths DTFC website

Holywell breathed again and set up an attack which left the Denbigh defence all at sea. With keeper Ash Crosthwaite advancing, Roberts slipped the ball under his frame and celebrated his hat-trick in style.

However, the home team were not finished. A free kick two yards outside of the box saw Roger Beech’s curler beat the wall and find the net. A quality leveller which ensured a fair final result.

Report: Peter Glynn (Denbigh Town FC website) – many thanks indeed

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: