Flashback – 20 years ago: Carl Owen strikes a late winner in Port’s narrow win over Flint

Carl Owen notched the winner for Porthmadog

Porthmadog 2 (Pugh 16, Owen 80)
Flint Town United 1 (Donohue 46)
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League – March 31, 2001

Carl Owen grabbed a late winner for a Porthmadog side which came up against a new-look Flint on this date 20 years ago.

With a number of fresh recruits on show, the Silkmen opened brightly, showing pace and skill.

They forced two consecutive corners and it needed a good Neil Roberts tackle to keep the visitors out.

Port soon settled down and set about breaking the Flint offside trap. In the 10th minute, Kevin Roberts broke clear behind the away defence but squared the ball when he had a good opportunity to go for goal.

Then Owen also broke the trap and it needed a last-ditch challenge by Darren Williams to prevent a shot on goal.

The deadlock was broken after 16 minutes when Steve Pugh, who was a constant thorn in the visitors’ side, broke down the right and cut inside beating three defenders in the process, before unleashing a powerful shot into the net.

A succession of chances for the home team were then spurned. First, Kevin Roberts was put clean through from Owen’s flicked header only to see his shot blocked by advancing keeper Ian Forgie.

Then Pugh fed Danny Hughes with a low cross into the box only for the shot to go straight at the keeper and after 32 minutes Owen headed over the bar from Kevin Roberts’ excellent cross.

Just before half-time James Hussaney almost punished the home team for these wasted opportunities when headed just over the bar following a left wing free-kick.

Half-time: Porthmadog 1 Flint Town United 0

Flint started the second-half in determined mood and within a minute they were on level terms when Simon Donahue created space for himself in the Port box  and finished off the move himself in style.

For a period Flint threatened to go on and win the game but gradually Port worked themselves back into it with Pugh again prominent.

He shot just over following an Emyr Jones cross and the same pair combined to create an opening for Kevin Roberts.

The winning goal came in the 80th minute, and inevitably it was Pugh who proved himself the match-winner. He broke along the right and then cut into the box before squaring a perfect ball for Owen to tap into the net.

Port: Tony Roberts, Martin Jones, Warren Gibbs, Mike Foster, Campbell Harrison, Steve Pugh, Danny Hughes, Neil Roberts, Lewis Coady (Emyr Jones), Kevin Roberts, Carl Owen. Subs not used: Stuart Williams, Owain Tudur Jones.

Flint: Forgie, Darren Williams, Hannam, Stuart Hughes, Wheeler, Peter Hughes, Barton, Bennett, Donahue, Hussaney, Vickers. Subs: Taylor, Horne.

Huge thanks to Iwan Gareth of Porthmadog for match report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: