Flashback – 5 years ago: Holywell too strong for Mold in Flintshire derby

Holywell Town 4 (Griffith 32 & 72, Lloyd 48, McGilloway 60)
Mold Alexandra 0
Cymru Alliance League – March 26, 2016

Holywell completed a hat-trick of wins over their near neighbours on this date five years ago having already beaten them at Alyn Park in the league and Huws Gray Cup at Alyn Park that season.

The opening exchanges saw the visitors shape the better.

A corner from the right fell to Connor Ready, whose header goalwards was going in, but Lee Emberton was able to nod off the line with his head.

Ready had a shot a few minutes later which Dafydd Griffith blocked with his legs.

Mold piled on more pressure, with Thomas Murray firing wide of Mike Platt’s goal.

Town’s first real chance fell on 20 minutes. A great move from midfield saw Paul D Williams pass the ball through defence for Phil Lloyd to chase, and his neat lay off saw Tony Roebuck’s shot go high over Michael Jones’ goal.

In the 32nd minute the hosts took the lead through Griffith.

A Town corner was only partially cleared and the ball fell to Emberton, whose strike was blocked by the Mold keeper, but only as far as Griffith who drilled in the loose ball to make it 1-0.

The heavens then opened and a spell of heavy rain and strong winds created puddles on the pitch, which made it difficult to play passing football.

The score remained 1-0 to the Wellmen at the break and all were glad to see the storm pass over, which enabled the groundstaff to get at the pitch at half time with their forks to get rid of the surface water which had formed after the heavy downpour.

Half time: Holywell 1 Mold 0

The referee was happy with the condition of the pitch and the game got underway for the second period.

Holywell soon doubled their lead. A great run by Graeme Williams saw him skip past the defender’s challenge and cross to Lloyd, who found the net.

Johnny Haseldin’s men now took control of the game and were playing excellent football on the atrocious playing surface.

With an hour on the clock, Roebuck switched the ball to the left, where Brady McGilloway was waiting and he ran on towards goal.

He switched the ball over to the centre and Connor Littler had an effort saved by Jones, but McGilloway was able to convert the rebound despite the last gasp slide of Danny Dalton’s to block the shot.

On the hour McGilloway once again picked up the ball and ran at the Mold defence, his perfect cross into the box enabling Griffith to head home his second.

Town had further chances, sub Josh Maldon’s snap-shot blocked by the Mold defence and Lloyd was denied by keeper Jones.

Attendance: 203

Many thanks to Steve Roberts of Holywell Town for the match report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: