Flashback – 10 years ago: Late rush of goals is inspired by Jones Evans cracker

Porthmadog apply the pressure. Pic: Emyr Gareth

CPD Porthmadog 5 (Rhys Roberts 13 & 90, Gareth J Evans 72, Paul Roberts 88 & 90+)
Guilsfield 0
Cymru Alliance League – March 12, 2011

Four goals in the last 18 minutes made this victory look more convincing for Porthmadog than it appeared set to be.

Ten years ago today at Y Traeth, despite being well in control for the majority of the 90, the hosts looked destined to make life difficult for themselves hanging on to a 13th minute lead.

All that changed dramatically with Gareth Jones Evans’ super strike after 72 minutes – his first goal for the club.

In the first minute Paul Roberts tested visitors’ keeper David Jones, who saved an angled shot at the expense of a corner.

Port continued to apply early pressure and Jones needed to be alert, keeping out a fierce Carl Owen shot as the forward broke in from the right.

The opener arrived when Jones Evans lifted a partial clearance back into the box for Ryan Davies to head into the goalmouth where Rhys Roberts found himself free to nod into the net.

The hosts continued to look the more likely to score as Dan Pyrs lifted a shot over the bar and Carl Owen screwed his header wide from a Mike Foster cross.

As the half wore on the game became increasingly untidy but Guilsfield did enjoy a better spell, winning a couple of corners which came to nothing.

Despite the lack of clear openings Port continued to dominate territorially and Marcus Orlik’s corner found Paul Roberts, who forced Jones to turn the shot round his near post.

Soon after Jones saved once more – this time from Orlik.

Half-time: Porthmadog 1 Guilsfield 0

Porthmadog’s Euron Roberts rises highest. Picture: Emyr Gareth

The second half continued in much the same vein and from a counter attack Owen raced from halfway, beating a defender before cutting into the box, but from a narrow angle lifted the ball over the bar.

Just when frustration was building up as Port failed to break a stubborn Guilsfield resistance, Jones Evans carved an escape route.

The 18 year-old broke from midfield to the edge of the box, deviated to the right, and whipped a superb 18 yard cracker across the keeper into the corner of the net.

With only two minutes left Paul Roberts added Port’s third from a low cross after Jack Jones had released deliverer Craig Roberts.

On 90 minutes, Foster lifted a free kick to the back post where Rhys Roberts squeezed his second goal inside the upright.

The scoring was still not over and well into added time Jones Evans broke down the left and his flat cross was converted by Paul Roberts.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Euron Roberts (Jack Jones 75), Mike Foster, Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Gareth Jones Evans, Dan Pyrs, Marcus Orlik, Paul Roberts, Carl Owen (Craig Roberts 81), Darren Gowans (Cai Jones 60). Subs not used: Gareth Owen, Richie Owen.

Many thanks to Gareth Williams for report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: