Flashback – 10 years ago: Bangor two-up at Llanelli but have to settle for draw

Les Davies (red) put Bangor ahead at Llanelli. Picture: Dai Sinclair

Llanelli 2 (Orme 82, Griffiths 90+6)
Bangor City 2 (Davies 70, Garside 74)
Welsh Premier League – March 12, 2011

Despite taking a 2-0 lead in the second half, City had to be content with a point at Stebonhealth Park 10 years ago today.

The pre match news centered on the goalkeeper shirt where Chris Oldfield stepped up as Paul Smith failed a fitness test.

Bangor forced the pace early on with Nicky Ward firing over and Ashley Morris saving from Les Davies before left winger Owain Warlow fired high and wide for Llanelli.

On the quarter hour Rhys Griffiths got involved with a turn and shot which dipped over the bar.

The home side won a couple of corners which Oldfield dealt with competently. Seconds later Morris held another Davies header before TNS loanee Craig Williams ran through but shot at Oldfield.

Peter Hoy hurtled a trademark long throw into the box but Alan Bull’s shot flashed wide.

On 25 minutes Mark Smyth cut in from the right but Morris held his low strike. The pattern of play was very open, end to end, with Michael Johnston and Dave Morley prominent for Bangor in defence.

The hosts’ Jason Bowen’s shot on the turn flew over before Davies spooned a 20-yarder wide at the other end.
Bowen and Warlow were both inches away from giving the South Wales Reds a half-time lead.

Half-time: 0-0

No changes at the interval but a quick chance for Bangor as Bull spun past Kris Thomas but sent his low shot across the face of goal.

Ten minutes after the restart James Brewerton met a Ward free-kick from the right but headed against the crossbar with Morris beaten.

Davies saw his header cleared off the line by manager Andy Legg only for the big number nine to head the rebound over.

Twenty minutes from time the first substitution of the afternoon as Craig Moses replaced the anonymous Craig Williams.

No sooner the change than a goal for Bangor!

Ward crossed for Brewerton, who headed across goal for Davies to nod home from close range.

In the 74th minute a foul by Legg set up a free kick which saw Craig Garside prod home at the second attempt for a two-nil advantage.

With eight minutes left Llanelli pulled one back as Adam Orme clipped the ball over Oldfield from inside the box to set up a nervous closing spell.

Five minutes from time Moses galloped into the box but man of the match Johnston slid in with perfect timing.

Llanelli defender Wyn Thomas was sent off (not for the first time against Bangor) in the 90th minute for comments passed to referee Dean John.

Four added minutes were signalled during which Oldfield was yellow carded for wasting time. Five minutes came and went, Llanelli won a corner on the right which Legg crossed.

With Moses blocking Oldfield the way was clear for Rhys Griffiths to climb all over Brewerton and head home to level the scores.

Bangor were desolate and referee John finally blew with an extra one and a half minutes played beyond the four announced.

Llanelli: Ashley Morris, Kris Thomas, Andy Legg, Chris Venables, Ashley Evans, Wyn Thomas, Jason Bowen (Adam Orme 81), Antonio Corbisiero, Rhys Griffiths, Craig Williams (Craig Moses 70), Owain Warlow (Jordan Follows 90).

Bangor: Chris Oldfield, Peter Hoy, Chris Roberts, Dave Morley, James Brewerton, Craig Garside, Michael Johnston, Alan Bull, Les Davies (Michael Jukes 90), Nicky Ward, Mark Smyth (Eddie Jebb 78).

Thanks to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice for a great report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: