Flashback – 20 years ago: Port and Cemaes battle out a stalemate at Y Traeth

Gareth Caughter had a fine game for Porthmadog. Picture: Emyr Gareth

Porthmadog 0
Cemaes Bay 0
Cymru Alliance League – March 10, 2001

Twenty years ago the outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease in the United Kingdom caused a crisis in British agriculture and tourism.

Football was among many other areas of life affected and Porthmadog did not want their match against Cemaes Bay to take place for this reason, but were put under great pressure by the league to play the game.

As it happened a thoroughly entertaining encounter ensued, with Port making good use of the excellent surface that suited passing football.

This was a match that saw plenty of action at both ends, the hosts perhaps just shading it, but failing, in the absence of top marksman Carl Owen, to take advantage of good approach work.

Ex-Port pair Robert Williams and Paul Whelan created for the Bay, but the home defence, that lacked the presence of Mike Foster and Warren Gibbs, managed to keep them becalmed.

Port took the early initiative, putting pressure on the Anglesey visitors from the off, but had little to show for this by way of attempts on goal.

Gareth Caughter went closest in the early stages with a long range effort.

On 10 minutes, Cemaes’ Robert Williams broke down the left, but was well foiled by Martin Jones.

Port’s grip on the game continued, with Dafydd Evans, Caughter and Kevin Roberts all coming close, but as the half went on, Cemaes started to gain more possession.

Goalkeeper Kenny Dixon did well to thwart Robert Williams, but unfortunately injured himself in the process.

On 29 minutes, the visitors should have taken the lead, but Darren Jones failed to control after finding himself clear in the box.

This close escape spurred Port back into the driving seat for the remainder of the half. Emyr Jones was unlucky not to nudge the hosts ahead when he failed to get enough contact on the ball after a good cross into the box by Steven Pugh.

Pugh was close to being the scorer a few minutes later, after doing well to keep the ball in play, beating his man only to see his effort on goal hit the side-netting.

Half-time: 0-0.

Things continued much the same in the second half with Port enjoying most possession, although it was the visitors that had the first chance of the half, with Neil Hughes’ shot coming off the woodwork.

Emyr Jones threatened more than once for Port, first with a header from an excellent Campbell Harrison cross, and then after finding himself clear on the side of the box. He was in the right place, but unfortunately failed to hit the mark.

This period for Port saw a lot of good work down the left by Harrison and Caughter, both in a good spell of form, but it was far from being one-way traffic, with Cemaes creating a few problems, most notably when they gained three consecutive corners.

Port persisted, Dafydd Evans almost ending the stalemate before Pugh should have done better after being sent through by Emyr Jones.  

Kevin Roberts found himself clear in the box after brilliant work by Caughter, but his shot went just inches wide when he should really have scored.

Port’s unbeaten run extended to eight games, but it should have been six straight wins.

Port: Kenny Dixon, Martin Jones, Richard Hughes, Danny Hughes, Campbell Harrison, Dafydd Evans, Steven Pugh, Lewis Coady (S Williams), Gareth Caughter, Kevin Roberts, Emyr Jones (Neil Roberts).

Cemaes: David Stufhelder, Cemlyn Williams, Richard Owen, Terry Saynor, Ryan Davies, Darren Jones, Marc Owens, Paul Whelan, Robert Williams, Mark Turner, Neil Hughes. Subs: Paul Tilbury, Emyr Rowlands, Colin Hughes.

Many thanks to Iwan Gareth for the match report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: