Roberts pair secured Porthmadog a place in the league cup semi-finals 10 years ago today

Craig Roberts (right) broke the deadlock for Porthmadog. Picture: Emyr Gareth

CPD Porthmadog 2 (Craig Roberts 44, Paul Roberts 83)
Ruthin Town 0
Huws Gray Cup – February 23, 2011

Ten years ago this week a goal in each half was enough to secure Porthmadog a place in the Huws Gray Cup semi-final and a tie against Buckley Town.

The two-goal margin in this quarter-final against Ruthin was hardly a reflection of the play on the night as Port dominated the game, especially in the second half, and should have sewn the encounter up way before the 83rd minute.

Home keeper Richard Harvey pulled off a good early save before Port went close to scoring when Jamie McDaid broke down the right and Paul Roberts headed wide of the upright.

As the half wore on Port took more control and after a good build up Jack Jones fired over the bar from 20 yards.

Around the half hour mark the hosts stepped up the pressure and it needed Town stopper Ben Jones to be on alert to block out Craig Roberts as he burst into the box.

The keeper was in action again a minute later this time turning a Paul Roberts shot around his near post.

Just a minute before the interval Port finally got their noses deservedly in front.

Craig Roberts

An angled ball by Paul Roberts put Marcus Orlik away down the right and his cross to the far post picked out Craig Roberts whose header looped over the keeper into the net.

Half-time: Porthmadog 1 Ruthin 0

Port soon got into their stride in the second half and a 20 yard effort from Paul Roberts brought a fine stop from Jones.

Soon after the keeper had to pull off an even better one, diving to his left to turn Orlik’s 25 yard thunderbolt round the upright.

Port were now in complete command but still failed to turn their advantage into goals.

Twice McDaid got himself into goal scoring positions in the box, the second an excellent angled ball from Paul Roberts, but it was a case of one being deflected for a corner while the other trickled wide of the post.

With frustration mounting a defensive mix-up allowed Ruthin’s leading scorer Kevin Garland into the box behind the Port defence, but fortunately his shot went across the face of goal and wide.

A minute later and Paul Roberts settled the tie with a fine shot on the turn from McDaid’s low cross. McDaid was now the main source of Port late attacks with several dangerous breaks down the right in the closing stages.

This was a good all round performance from the home side with the back four always in control and the new partnership of Euron Roberts and Dan Pyrs at the centre looking as though they had played regularly together.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Jack Jones, Mike Foster, Euron Roberts, Dan Pyrs, Richie Owen (Gareth Parry 71), Gareth Jones Evans, Jamie McDaid, Craig Roberts (Cai Jones 83), Paul Roberts, Marcus Orlik.

Ruthin: Ben Jones, Jamie Price, Joe Garner, Miles Todd, Jack Jones, Matt Davies, Aaron Aby (Siôn Davies 84) Sion Williams, Kevin Garland, Wil Roberts (Bryn Jones 71), Stuart Vernon.

Many thanks to Gareth Williams for another excellent report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: