Flashback – 20 years ago: Jiws scores a hat-trick for Bangor – and then goes in goal!

Marc Lloyd Williams (right) in a photo with the legendary Thierry Henry taken more recently than 2001. Henry may have played at a higher level than Jiws, but did he ever score a hat-trick and finish a match in goal?

Oswestry Town 3 (Rogers 22 & 37; Jones 83)
Bangor City 3 (Lloyd Williams 6, 65 & 70)
League of Wales – February 20, 2001

How often has it happened that a player has scored a hat-trick only to finish off the match in goal?

Well that’s what occurred at Park Hall 20 years ago this week and the man who took on the unlikely dual role?

City’s all-time record League of Wales goal scorer Marc Lloyd Williams.

Bangor made a bright start courtesy of Rhodri Giggs, who robbed Paul Langley on the dead-ball line and squared to Lloyd Williams, who tapped in the simplest of chances.

Ten minutes later, with Oswestry conceding frequent free-kicks, Clayton Blackmore forced a good save from Dave Blower.

Then controversy! Bangor’s Steve Cooper was fouled and – having received treatment – he was obliged to leave the pitch.

With City down to 10 men and referee GM Davies refusing Cooper’s frantic attempts to get back on the field, Steve Rogers thrashed home an equaliser from 15 yards.

Amazingly Cooper was not allowed to return even when play stopped and then restarted from the centre circle. His absence – of around three minutes – was to prove costly for Bangor.

Giggs was booked for dissent, then on 37 minutes Rogers repeated the super finish of earlier when the Bangor defence froze once more.

Rogers was proving to be a difficult opponent for young Mark Thomas and company. Perhaps City tended to defend too deep, which also suited Rogers.

Half-time: Oswestry 2 Bangor 1

Five minutes after the interval Lloyd Williams charged down the left and crossed for Craig Roberts whose powerful strike hit the crossbar from 18 yards.

Then it was the Llanberis lad’s turn to fire a free-kick from the right which was well saved by Blower.

A couple more bookings – Rogers for a foul on John Paul Roberts and Lloyd Williams for dissent. But Jiws had the last laugh as he pounced on some hesitancy in the home defence to convert a close range chance.

On 70 minutes Lloyd Williams completed his hat-trick and put City ahead when a lofted crossfield ball from Aled Rowlands caused panic in the home defence.

That made it back-to-back trebles for MLW.

With Thomas warming to the task of marking Rogers, Bangor held out until the 83rd minute when Blackmore failed to cut out a hopeful through ball to allow Jon Jones the chance to chip Paul Evans for a deserved equaliser.

Oswestry huffed and puffed, sending the ball forward and – fortunately for Bangor – giving away some needless free-kicks.

Then on 90 minutes Rogers collided with Evans, free kick to Bangor, but the keeper literally saw red with a shove at the Oswestry striker.

Who else but the larger than life Lloyd Williams went in goal for the remaining three minutes of added time and did not concede.

Oswestry: Dave Blower, Justin Bridges, Jamie Fairhurst, Steve O’Shaughnessy, Brett Jeffries, Paul Langley, Ross Holtom, Neil Wenham, Steve Rogers, Jon Jones, Jason Jones. Subs: Ross Jeffries, Ryan Jeffries, Adam Burgess.

Bangor: Paul Evans, Steve Cooper, Aled Rowlands, Emrys Williams, Mark Thomas, Clayton Blackmore, Marc Lloyd Williams, Paul Sellars, Craig Roberts, Rhodri Giggs, John Paul Roberts. Subs: Richard Owen, Karl Roberts, Sean Hazelden.

Huge thanks to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice website for another great report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: