Flashback – 10 years ago: Late sub Craig Roberts is key in Porthmadog victory

Jamie McDaid (red and black) opened the scoring for Port. Picture: Iwan Gareth

CPD Porthmadog 4 (Jamie McDaid 45, Gareth Owen 64, Darren Gowans 79, Paul Roberts 82)
Rhydymwyn 0
Cymru Alliance League – February 5, 2011

In a game played 10 years ago today in atrocious weather conditions, visitors Rhydymwyn would feel the final score did them scant justice considering the play over the 90 minutes.

It was the introduction of Craig Roberts with 15 minutes remaining that turned the game from a close contest to a comfortable winning margin.

The forward, who had missed most of the season after suffering a nasty knee injury, played an important part in the two goals in three minutes which made the three points safe for Gareth Parry’s team.

Rhyd posed the early threat before the home side upped their game with a couple of Cai Jones efforts, one being deflected for a corner and another from 25 yards forcing Ryan Roberts into a good save.

With half time approaching Port went close. With keeper Roberts stranded, it needed a Dafydd Griffith header off his line to keep out Gareth Parry.

There was enough injury time left for Jamie McDaid to send Port in ahead at the interval. An angled Paul Roberts ball put McDaid in behind the defence and the young winger coolly cut inside from the left and finished with a shot across the keeper into the far corner.

Half-time: 1-0

The visitors with the wind on their backs controlled the early stages of the second period, making better use of the conditions.

Richard Harvey was soon in action, denying the dangerous Pasquale Polistina at the expense of a corner and an angled Adam Renshaw shot flew wide.

Harvey was then quickly off his line to save at the feet of Polistina.

Rhydymwyn pushed for the equaliser and Tom McElmeel used the wind to fire a 20 yard effort narrowly off target.

With 64 minutes gone Port struck against the run of play to open a two-goal advantage.

Paul Roberts played a Cai Jones corner into the goalmouth and Gareth Owen shot through the crowded box to score.

McDaid was unlucky when he struck the foot of the post before the ball bounced into the arms of keeper Roberts.

Rhydymwyn continued to press and twice Harvey had to go down at the feet of first Renshaw and then Polistina.

However, there was to be no way back for the Flintshire club after the introduction of Craig Roberts.

Following a slick exchange of passes Craig Roberts squared the ball for the unmarked Darren Gowans to net his first goal since joining from Llangefni.

Three minutes later Craig Roberts delivered a perfect cross from the by-line to provide Paul Roberts with a simple far post header.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Euron Roberts, Richie Owen, Dan Pyrs, Gareth Owen, Gareth Jones Evans (Darren Jones 88), Jack Jones, Cai Jones (Darren Gowans 79), Gareth Parry (Craig Roberts 75), Paul Roberts, Jamie McDaid. Sub not used: Mike Foster.

Rhydymwyn: Ryan Roberts, Chris Guy, Matthew Harvey, Tom McElmeel, Dave Bryan, Dafydd Griffith (Sam Heenan 71), Pasquale Polistina, Dean Hughes (Jay Hughes 46), Robbie Chesters, Dave Pitson (Darren Pritchard 84), Adam Renshaw.

Attendance: 108.

Many thanks to Gareth Williams for report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: