Remembering Rob….memories from CPD Bodedern’s 2006-07 season (part 6)

Bodedern in action (not from Llanrwst game). Picture: Col Smith

Anglesey football is devastated by the passing of former Bodedern, Llangefni Town and Gwalchmai manager Rob Hughes.

Grassroots North Wales has received some Bodedern FC match reports from the 2006-07 season, during which Rob became first team manager, having been appointed on November 22, 2006.

The reports were written and have been very kindly supplied by Col Smith, Bodedern secretary at the time.

This was Boded’s second season in the tier 2 Cymru Alliance. They finished ninth in 2005-06 and 14th in 2006-07.

Sat 10 February 2007
NWCFA Senior Challenge Cup first round
Bodedern 4 (Evans 42, Owen 61, Backhouse 86, A Roberts 88) Holywell Town 3 (Wynne 10, Shill 40, Voyle pen 90)

One of the most thrilling matches of Rob Hughes’ reign saw Bodedern edge a 4-3 victory over Holywell to progress to a quarter-final tie at Llanrwst United.

The Wellmen started the brighter with a goal on 10 minutes from Danny Wynne.

Bodedern pressed for an equaliser and were pretty much in control across the pitch but could not produce anything worthy of beating keeper Paul Turner.

Turner struck some impressive long range goal kicks, often finding the Holywell front men on the edge of the Bodedern area and giving the home midfield no chance of possession.

It was during some Boded pressure that Turner’s big clearance found Holywell’s Wayne Shill, who brought the ball down and fired past Gareth OJ Roberts to give the visitors an unexpected 2-0 lead on 40 minutes.

Bodedern centre-forward Marc Evans was to find a quick reply when put one on one with the Holywell keeper.

Evans dribbled around the diving Turner to walk the ball into the net on 42 minutes.

Twelve minutes into the second half, Holywell were reduced to 10 men when one of their players was dismissed for a second caution.

Bodedern had looked the fitter side and the one-man advantage soon paid off when Calvin Owen levelled on 61 minutes.

It looked as if extra-time was to play a part until Deion Backhouse, who had not long come from the bench, hit the target on 86 minutes having narrowly missed previously with a shot that skimmed the post.

Andrew Roberts made it 4-2 in the 88th minute.

In the last minute of normal time Bodedern were reduced to 10 men when Andy Jones was dismissed for a second yellow.

The resulting penalty brought a consolation goal for Holywell, a well-taken effort by Nick Voyle.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: