Remembering Rob….memories from CPD Bodedern’s 2006-07 season (part 4)

Bodedern in action during Rob Hughes’ managership. Picture not from Llanrwst game. Photo supplied by Col Smith

Anglesey football is devastated by the passing of former Bodedern, Llangefni Town and Gwalchmai manager Rob Hughes.

Grassroots North Wales has received some Bodedern FC match reports from the 2006-07 season, during which Rob became first team manager, having been appointed on November 22, 2006.

The reports were written and have been very kindly supplied by Col Smith, Bodedern secretary at the time.

This was Boded’s second season in the tier 2 Cymru Alliance. They finished ninth in 2005-06 and 14th in 2006-07.

Wednesday 20 March 2007
NWCFA Cup Quarter-Final
Llanrwst 1 (Hughes) Bodedern 2 (Evans 2)
at Conwy United FC

Bodedern advanced to the Challenge Cup semi-finals and a meeting with Prestatyn Town after a hard-fought win over Llanrwst at neutral Y Morfa.

On a good surface in cold wintery conditions, Welsh Alliance underdogs Llanrwst were first to go for goal with Marc Thomas firing high over the bar.

In the fifth minute Corey Sinnott exploited a lot of space left at the back by Llanrwst with a pacey run down the right wing, his shot going just wide of the target.

After only six minutes, Bodedern had to replace injured defender Darren Hughes, John Jones came on from the bench to play right back with Trystan Owen moving central to cover where Hughes was.

On 22 minutes Boded rode their luck with a good effort from Llanrwst chested off the line by Deion Backhouse, who was covering the far post.

Soon after a remarkable tackle on the line by Tomos Jones robbed the Rwsters of a sure opening goal.

Two minutes later Boded centre forward Marc Evans, who had been putting extreme pressure on the Llanrwst defence, broke the deadlock.

Owain Hughes levelled the scores on 42 minutes.

Half-time: 1-1.

The second half was very much end-to-end with chances missed by both sides.

A goalkeeping error was to cost Llanrwst the game when Paul Roberts sliced a kick directly to Marc Evans who did not waste the gift in front of goal and tucked it away for a 2-1 lead on 55 minutes.

Evans was denied a hat-trick by a good Roberts save in a one-on-one situation.

Tempers flared and a reckless challenge by Llanrwst’s Barry Owen earned a red card from the ref.

A fine stop from Boded’s Gareth OJ Roberts on 80 minutes denied the Rwsters their last chance of forcing extra-time.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: