Remembering Rob….memories from CPD Bodedern’s 2006-07 season (part 2)

Corey Sinnott (pictured playing for Gwalchmai) scored twice for Bodedern in a 4-0 hammering of Llandudno in 2006-07

Anglesey football is devastated by the passing of former Bodedern, Llangefni Town and Gwalchmai manager Rob Hughes.

Grassroots North Wales has received some Bodedern FC match reports from the 2006-07 season, during which Rob became first team manager, having been appointed on November 22, 2006.

The reports were written and have been very kindly supplied by Col Smith, Bodedern secretary at the time.

This was Boded’s second season in the tier 2 Cymru Alliance. They finished ninth in 2005-06 and 14th in 2006-07.

Sat 9 December 2006
Cymru Alliance League
Llandudno 0 Bodedern 4 (Sinnott 2, M Evans, C Owen)

How about this for one of the best results of Rob Hughes’ managerial career!

Boded had lost 7-0 at Llandudno in the 2005-06 season and were also beaten 2-1 at home by the Seasiders.

On this occasion the islanders were boosted by an emphatic 7-0 home win against Queen’s Park seven days earlier, but knew Tudno would be a harder task at their place.

Good footwork and clinical finishing from Corey Sinnott put Boded a goal in front on 10 minutes.

At first it seemed the Llandudno defence had shut the door in his face but he drifted right and found a clear shot on goal.

Play was very competitive. On 20 minutes Llandudno’s No9 Mike Lundstram was shown the red card.

Sixteen-year-old Marc Evans was to score for Bodedern on 25 minutes, striking with the confidence of a more experienced centre-forward.

Boded captain Gafyn Jones was dismissed on 32 minutes leaving both sides with 10 men.

Half-time: Llandudno 0 Bodedern 2

The second half began with Llandudno now having the wind behind them, pushing forward in numbers desperately attempting to get back into the game.

The Bodedern defence and midfield soaked up everything Tudno could throw at them, the hosts limited to long-range efforts which brought no reward.

Hughes’ heroes adopted a counter-attack at speed strategy with Sinnott, Deion Backhouse, Evans and Calvin Owen bursting forward at every chance.

On 70 minutes, Sinnott scored from a free-kick about 25 yards out on the left lobbing the ball high into the net just under the bar with Kev Colville in goal for Llandudno watching helplessly and too far out to do anything about it.

Calvin Owen’s goal on 75 minutes put the visitors four-up and killed any chance of a Llandudno comeback.

Boded keeper Gareth OJ Roberts had to make a couple of diving saves in the last few minutes and earned a well deserved clean sheet.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: