Flashback – five years ago: Miley stars in Bangor City win at Maesdu

Anthony Miley was man of the match for Bangor City in a 2-1 win at Llandudno five years ago today on December 28, 2015

Llandudno 1 (Marc Williams)
Bangor City 2 (Sam Hart 58 pen, Anthony Miley 66)
Welsh Premier League – December 28, 2015

Five years ago today a bumper crowd of more than 700 filled Maesdu Park to see Bangor take the points.

A Llandudno outfit in their first Welsh Premier season took on a City side competing in their 24th successive top-flight campaign.

Pre-match news confirmed Antoni Sarnowski in goal for the visitors, but there was a surprise at right-back with the return from long term injury of Dec Walker. Finally, a place in central defence for Anthony Miley with Adam Cummins injured.

In the 20th minute the eye-catching Walker, who had a couple of early attempts on goal, was again prominent as he slipped past left back Connor Tierney and crossed near post where Chris Jones’ first time effort crashed just wide.

The ever-industrious Ashley Young won the ball and picked out Jones, whose shot on the turn missed narrowly.

Bangor won a free kick which Sam Hart spotted but fired wide before Sion Edwards crossed from the left and caught keeper Dave Roberts napping as the ball dropped onto the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

There was not too much for young Sarnowski to do as Leon Clowes and the masterful Miley stood firm, answering every question asked of them.

Currently in the spotlight through his 2020-21 FA Cup run with Marine and their imminent third round tie with Tottenham Hotspur, Miley’s willingness to organise and demand more from his team mates certainly lifted everyone around him.

The final action of the first period saw Llandudno’s impressive Leo Riley run down the left, cut infield and shoot goalwards, only to be denied by a brave block from Clowes.

Half-time: 0-0

Llandudno started the second half the better and won a corner which veteran defender Mike Williams headed just off target.

Then on 58 minutes City had a penalty. Christian Langos hared past Danny Shaw and was tripped by right-back Danny Taylor.

Goalkeeper Roberts kicked the ball off the spot to disrupt proceedings and was also carded.

None of this seemed to particularly upset regular penalty taker Hart, who crashed the ball home for a one-nil lead.

The purposeful Sion Edwards released Chris Jones and his shot was well saved by Roberts.

Then on 66 minutes it was 2-0 Bangor. A corner from the right cannoned around the Tudno box to Miley, whose six-yard drive flew into the net.

Young goalkeeper Sarnowski made a good stop and caught a couple of difficult crosses as the home side pressed before on 68 minutes a double change for the home side saw Alan Bull and Liam Dawson replace Lewis Buckley and Riley.

Five minutes later Shaun Cavanagh came on for a weary Langos who had been down with cramp. A second former blue, Michael Johnston, took the field in place of Danny Shaw.

On 90 minutes a wild challenge on Sarnowski by the previously booked Lee Thomas went unpunished.

As the four minutes of extra time ebbed away Marc Williams rushed through the middle and crashed a low drive into the bottom corner to raise home spirits, but it was to be nothing more than a consolation.

Llandudno: Dave Roberts, Danny Taylor, Connor Tierney, Danny Shaw (Michael Johnston 84), Mike Williams, Leo Riley (Liam Dawson 68), Tom Dix, Danny Hughes, Lee Thomas, Marc Williams, Lewis Buckley (Alan Bull 68).

Bangor City: Antoni Sarnowski, Dec Walker, Sam Hart, Leon Clowes, Ashley Young, Anthony Miley, Chris Jones (Mike Elstone 90), Damien Allen, Ryan Edwards, Christian Langos (Shaun Cavanagh 74), Sion Edwards.

Attendance: 722

Much thanks as always to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice website for his assistance with the report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: