Cymru Premier: Major wins for Flint and Connah’s Quay Nomads

Rob Hughes struck twice for Flint in the closing minutes. Photo: Flint Town United FC

Flint Town United 3 (Mark Cadwallader 45, Rob Hughes 85 pen & 90 + 3)
Aberystwyth Town 0
Cymru Premier – December 19, 2020

Neil Gibson’s second match in charge of Flint brought a welcome three points which lifted them off the Cymru Premier basement and out of the bottom three.

Gibson’s first game at the helm on Tuesday saw the Silkmen somewhat unfortunate to get nothing in a 2-1 defeat against Cefn Druids, but there was no stopping them on Saturday at the Essity Stadium.

“All the credit goes to the players,” said Gibson. “They’ve taken a lot of information on in the last 10 days. We probably deserved more on Tuesday night, it’s important confidence wasn’t affected by that and everything I’ve asked of them they’ve given in abundance.

“Aber had a 20-minute spell at the start of the second half, we weathered that storm, and then we showed all the bits of quality to kill the game off at the end.”

Gibson added: “Aber came here fighting, they were fighting themselves for the points as much as we were; but you find out about players and the way they’ve been in the first 10 days they’ve shown me they’ve got a lot of character, a lot of fight and they want to do well for Flint Town Football Club.

“We all want to work together to get out of the position we’re in, and results and performances like today will do that.”

After a cautious start from both teams the visitors carved out the first real chance on 16 minutes, as an inswinging corner was first cleared off the line, but only to Mathew Jones whose rising shot from the edge of the box just cleared the Flint bar.

Gradually the hosts asserted themselves, and just before the half-hour mark, a Ben Nash header from a corner forced Connor Roberts to tip over the goal.

Flint had also had a goal correctly ruled out for a foul in the build up, before Mark Cadwallader struck on 43 minutes.

Nash had put in a robust, but fair, challenge to win the ball before feeding Alex Jones. The Flint skipper played a defence-splitting ball through to Cadwallader, who did well to keep his balance and, with the outside of his boot, slot past Roberts.

Aber came out strongly at the start of the second half, forcing a series of corners, but the Flint defence stood up to the test very well.

On 53 minutes, Jones broke down the right for Flint. Tom Kemp went on the overlap, creating a perfect dummy run, allowing Jones to run infield and play a square ball into the path of the oncoming Wes Baynes, who lashed just wide.

Rob Hughes was introduced on 70 minutes, and was to have a big impact on the remainder of the game.

After missing narrowly from 20 yards, on 85 minutes he was fouled in the box by Richard Ricketts to earn Flint their first penalty of the season.

Hughes got up to take the spot kick and drilled it straight down the middle.

In added time, Hughes weaved his way past the Aber defence and although Roberts got a hand to his shot, the effort carried enough power for the ball to cross the line.

Flint Town United: Aaron Jones, Samuel Hart, Wesley Baynes (Liam Wallis 88), Ben Nash, Kai Edwards, Mark Cadwallader (Robert Hughes 70), Alex Jones, Callum Bratley, Andrew Brown (Conor Harwood 57), Ben Maher, Thomas Kemp.

Other results – Saturday

Barry Town United 4 (Kayne McLaggon 21 & 39, Jacob Wise og 59, Sam Bowen 90 + 4) Cefn Druids 1 (Alex Darlington 47)

Connah’s Quay Nomads 3 (Mike Wilde 2, George Horan 63, Aron Williams 88) Cardiff Met University 1 (Emlyn Lewis 18)

The New Saints 2 (Ryan Harrington 18, Daniel Jefferies og 28) Penybont 1 (Ben Ahmun 7)


Caernarfon Town 1 (Sion Bradley 34) Newtown 1 (Nick Rushton 83)

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: