North Wales football match reports – friendlies from December 19

Thrilling goalmouth action from Llangoed v Arriva Bangor (red). Picture: Richard Gregson

Prestatyn Sports 9 (Michael Jones 4, Kris Owen 2, Ryan Brady, Sam Warhurst, Jarad Hughes)
Rhyl Dragons 3

Sports piled on the goals in a game that had everything – great football, mistakes and very bad weather.

The hosts started really well, Ryan Brady breaking the offside trap early to score with a great run from midfield.

Five minutes later Michael Jones converted with a header from a great cross via the left by Kris Owen.

Dragons did not drop their heads and found back to level though a goal down to a Sports error and then a penalty.

After some good play down the right the hosts won a corner and Sam Warhurst scored with a great header.

Dragons beat the offside trap to see things all-square with a smart finish, but Michael Jones struck again to make it 4-3 at half time.

Sports changed a few things around at half time and armed with some advice from the management they delivered a much better performance with five unanswered goals.

Straight from the kick off Kris Owen was put through after a one-two with Jones and finished well to the bottom corner.

Then roles were reversed as Owen supplied Jones, who cut in from the left and found the top corner.

The way the Sports back line controlled the game in the second half was a credit to them players and provided a platform for the team to push on.

Owen grabbed his second through good play in the middle from Si Fawcett and James Harper.

Michael Jones topped off a fine personal show with a fourth goal via a fierce drive.

There was still time for Jared Hughes to cut in from the left and unleash a rocket into the top right corner.

Llangoed 6 (Josh Pugh, Sam Gregson 2, Wayne Thomas, Matty Owen, Tom Zalot)

Arriva Bangor 6 (Matty Jones, Ben Wright, Jake Hughes, Cai La Trobe-Roberts, Dylan Jones, Mike Holroyd)

Llangoed’s Wayne Thomas is challenged by Arriva’s Jake Hughes. Picture: Richard Gregson, CPD Llangoed

What a thrilling game of ping-pong football this was.

Arriva went 4-0 up, but Llangoed battled back and in the end the sides finished all-square at six-apiece.

Sam Gregson struck twice for the Anglesey side, Josh Pugh, Wayne Thomas, Matty Owen and Tom Zalot adding one apiece.

There were six different marksmen for the Busmen, Matty Jones, Ben Wright, Jake Hughes, Cai La Trobe-Roberts, Dylan Jones and Mike Holroyd.

As Paul Weller once sang – That’s Entertainment!

CPD Y Rhyl 1879 6 (James Jones, Eamon Buhalfaia, Chris Bennett, Hayden Hughes 2, Tom Cain)
Rhuddlan Town 2 (Ryan Potts 2)

This was an excellent workout for both tier 4 teams on a heavy pitch.

Some good football was played in a well contested game.

The match was a fundraiser for former Rhuddlan goal machine and now 1879 striker Jay Whitehouse, who has just undergone a crucial operation which may need a 12-month recovery.
Everyone paid a contribution to help Jay cope with a difficult period.

James Jones struck first for Rhyl after four minutes, but Ryan Potts levelled on nine.

It remained 1-1 for the next 25 minutes before Eamon Buhalfaia  edged the hosts back in front.

Goals from Chris Bennett and Hayden Hughes before the break handed Gareth Thomas’ side a commanding lead.

Hughes and Tom Cain added further goals for the home side in the second half, Potts notching a second for Wayne Hughes’ men.

Prestatyn Town 2 (Duffy, Hont)
FC Queen’s Park 1 (Williams)

Although the Park ended up losing this game they could feel proud of their performance against the Cymru North champions.

As expected, a new-look Prestatyn were quality on the ball and switched play nicely, but the Park’s work rate was second to none and every time they got possession looked dangerous.

And it was the tier 4 side who took the lead when the powerful Nicky Williams drove into space and fired a right foot strike past the Prestatyn keeper after 20 minutes.

After a spell of pressure Town won a corner which Queen’s Park were slow to react to. A short corner and a quick one-two enabled Sam Duffy to head home at the back post.

Half time: 1-1.

The Park missed a chance to edge back ahead after the turnaround before Prestatyn broke well down their left flank to slide in Jack Hont, who finished well past the onrushing Josh Edwards.

The visitors had two big opportunities to equalise. First, Williams found Curtis Neary in space only for the ball to get stuck under his feet. Then James Gregory did find the net, but was adjudged offside.

Menai Bridge Tigers 4 (Ows Roberts, Mitchell Jones, Dave Baston, Dean Redmond)
Caergybi 0

A comfortable win for the Bridge over Caergybi.

Ows Roberts opened the scoring after just two minutes thanks to a Kev Roberts assist.

Three minutes later Dean Redmond set up Mitchell Jones to score.

Dave Baston made it three just before the break following good work from Sion Hogan.

Callum Graves then provided the key pass for Redmond to make it four in the 54th minute.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: