Is Bangor City’s 22-game winning run in the Welsh Cup an all-time record ?

Bangor City celebrate their amazing victory in the 2007-08 Welsh Cup final. Picture: Mike Smith, Citizens Choice

Is Bangor City’s 22-match winning run in the Welsh Cup between round two 2007-08 to the 2010-11 semi-final an all-time record for the competition ?

I’ve never read anything to suggest otherwise.

In winning the national knockout in 2008, 2009 and 2010, the Citizens recorded 18 victories on the bounce, progressing through five rounds in each season before coming out on top in all three finals.

Then in 2010-11, where Welsh Premier sides did not enter until a round later than previously, City advanced through rounds three, four, quarter and semi-final before losing to Llanelli in the showpiece.

Doing a quick search through Welsh Cup history, even the Cardiff City side which lifted the trophy a record five times in a row between 1966-67 and 1970-71 did not prevail in 22 straight games over that period.

Being a Football League club, they did not enter until the fifth round each season (last 16).

Although they went 31 games unbeaten from 1966-67 before losing 2-1 against Wrexham in the first leg of the 1971-72 final, they didn’t win all 31, having drawn four.

Their longest sequence of straight wins from the 1966-67 fifth round to that 1971-72 final defeat was 12.

In those days the competition included replays and two-legged affairs, whereas all Bangor’s involvement between 2007-11 was straight knockout, result on the day.

If anyone is aware of a team which has won more than 22 Welsh Cup ties on the bounce in the competition’s history I’d be very interested to know.

The New Saints won 19 consecutive ties spread across three Welsh Cup triumphs and a final appearance between 2013-14 and 2016-17 before Bala Town beat them.

In the meantime, let’s celebrate Bangor’s Children of the Nevill-ution…..

2007-08 season

Michael Johnston scored in an absolute barnstormer at Caersws. Pic: Mike Smith, Citizens Choice

Match 1

Bangor City 3 (Ashley Stott 2, Les Davies) Llandyrnog United 0
Welsh Cup round two – October 6, 2007

Neville Powell’s first Welsh Cup tie as Bangor boss ended in a comfortable enough victory, although visitors Llandyrnog, who finished 12th in the Cymru Alliance that season, were no mugs.
It took City until the 42nd minute for Ashley Stott to give them the lead. At the end of a pretty even first half it remained 1-0.
Llandyrnog won a penalty on the hour, but the outstanding Paul Smith saved Craig Wilkinson’s effort.
It needed goals in the last 12 minutes from Les Davies and Stott again to make Bangor safe.

Match 2

Caersws 2 Bangor City 3 (Marc Limbert, Michael Johnston, Mike Walsh)
Welsh Cup round three – November 3, 2007

This remarkable tie has been described by one well-known Bangor fan as the true launch pad for the Nevill-ution.
Down to nine men for the final 10 minutes of the 90 and the whole of extra time, City prevailed against the odds to run out 3-2 winners.
James Haynes edged Caersws in front, Marc Limbert levelled from the spot, a Michael Johnston header put the Citizens 2-1 up, but Mark Griffiths made it all-square at the interval.
In a dramatic second half, Bangor had Kieran Killackey and Dave Swanick sent off on 64 and 80 minutes respectively, but come the end of the 90 it stayed at 2-2.
Extra time was end-to-end before City won it with a 113th minute Mike Walsh header.

Match 3

Aberystwyth Town 0 Bangor City 0 (aet – Bangor won 3-2 on penalties)
Welsh Cup round four – February 2, 2008

After two hours of end-to-end attack and defence it all came down to penalties.
Some great shot stopping from goalkeeper Paul Smith won the day.
No score after 120 minutes so spot-kicks it was.
Aber went first, Bari Morgan netted as did Marc Limbert for City.
Smith saved from Geraint Passmore, then Christian Seargeant fired over, still 1-1. Stuart Roberts scored as did Lee Webber, 2-2.
Then Luke Sherbon saw Smith save his kick before Peter Hoy converted with confidence, advantage City at 3-2 (out of four each).
This meant Andy Evans had to score but Smith saved again!

Match 4

Guilsfield 0 Bangor City 6 (Ashley Stott 4, Michael Johnston, Karl Noon)
Welsh Cup quarter-finals – March 1, 2008

Four goals from leading marksman Ashley Stott led Bangor to a 6-0 win against Cymru Alliance underdogs Guilsfield.
Michael Johnston’s second goal of the competition, plus a Karl Noon strike, saw City comfortably home.
Oswestry legend Statto made an appearance with the TNS electronic board, which made great reading for visiting fans.

Match 5

Newport YMCA 1 (Danny Cueto) Bangor City 3 (Peter Hoy, Ashley Stott, Sion Edwards)
Welsh Cup semi-final – April 5, 2008

After a goalless first 40 minutes City scored twice either side of half time to take control against a determined Newport side who were cheered on by a noisy following at neutral Latham Park, Newtown.
In the 42nd minute Marc Limbert played a free kick into the box, and in the resulting melee Peter Hoy shot goalwards, saw his first effort blocked, but sent the second low into the net.
The first serious action of the second period was Bangor’s second goal. It came when Michael Johnston’s long ball sent the eager Ashley Stott in on goal, and he rounded the keeper to score.
Sion Edwards drilled in a third before a late Danny Cueto reply gave YMCA fans something to cheer about.
Holyhead hero Mel McGinness appeared as a late sub for Bangor.

Match 6

Bangor City 4 (Ashley Stott, Christian Sergeant, Marc Limbert pen, Karl Noon) Llanelli 2 (Dave Swanick OG, Rhys Griffiths) – after extra time
Welsh Cup final – May 4, 2008

Bangor lifted the Welsh Cup for the sixth time in their history in an enthralling final which saw 10 men battle against the odds for 85 minutes and end up victorious over nine.
City defender Peter Hoy was sent off in the fifth minute for a high challenge – what was already an uphill test against the Welsh Premier champions just got steeper.
Far from being discouraged, Bangor pushed forward and led 1-0 at half time after Stott diverted home a Lee Webber shot for his eighth goal of the competition.
Things looked like collapsing for the Citizens early after the break, when a Dave Swanick own goal and Rhys Griffiths finish made it 2-1 to Llanelli.
However, the dismissal of Llanelli key defender Wyn Thomas for dissent evened up the sides.
Nonetheless, City’s efforts for an equaliser looked spent until in the 92nd minute Reds keeper Duncan Roberts punched when he should have caught and Christian Seargeant’s perfect chip found the net to force extra time.
Two quick goals in the first period sealed it for City – a Limbert penalty and a lucky one for Noon after keeper Roberts blasted the ball against him and it ended up in the net.
Griffiths was sent off for Llanelli before the end for an elbowing offence.

2008-09 season

Match 7

Bangor City 1 (Chris Sharp) Connah’s Quay Nomads 0
Welsh Cup second round – October 4, 2008

A 74th minute goal from Chris Sharp was enough to separate these Welsh Premier League rivals at Farrar Road.
Les Davies headed on, Sharp raced in behind the visitors defence and finished calmly past current Blackpool goalkeeper Chris Maxwell from 15 yards.

Match 8

Bangor City 4 (Marc Limbert 3, 2 pens, Les Davies) Garden Village 0
Welsh Cup third round – November 1, 2008

Marc Limbert’s first-half hat-trick put the Citizens well on course for victory against lower league opponents.
Limbert put away two penalties, and scored direct from a corner, to have the tie under wraps by the break.
Dave Holland saved another penalty to deny Limbert a treble of spot-kicks.
On 65 minutes it was 4-0 as Sion Edwards’ low cross was turned home by Les Davies from point blank range.

Match 9

Bangor City 1 (Chris Sharp) Rhyl 1 (Greg Strong) – aet: Bangor won 4-2 on pens
Welsh Cup fourth round – January 31, 2009

Despite coming up against the Welsh Premier champions-to-be and having to play 105 minutes with 10 men, City emerged victorious on penalties in front of a raucous crowd at Farrar Road. 840 sounded like 8,400!
Marc Limbert was dismissed on the quarter-hour for alleged violent conduct on Rhyl defender Chris Roberts.
Allthough up against it, City responded well and half time arrived with the scoresheet blank.
On 67 minutes Bangor broke the deadlock following a fine run and great finish from a tight angle by Chris Sharp against his old club.
Greg Strong headed in Rhyl’s equaliser with two minutes left, so it went to extra time, which produced no further goals in spite of a glut of Lilywhites chances.
To penalties…Shooting into the Farrar End, Rhyl went first through Neil Roberts whose effort hit the bar and over.
City’s first kick was converted by Christian Seargeant. Matty Williams and Peter Hoy converted with calm assurance for 2-1, likewise Jamie Reed and Sion Edwards for 3-2 (from three each).
Luke Holden was denied by the diving Paul Smith and up stepped newcomer Stuart Cook. If he scored City were through – and he did!

Match 10

Airbus UK Broughton 0 Bangor City 5 (Les Davies 2, Chris Seargeant, Peter Hoy, Sion Edwards)
Welsh Cup quarter-finals – February 28, 2009

After a goalless first half the deluge arrived in the second period from the Citizens.
Christian Seargeant, Les Davies, Peter Hoy, Sion Edwards and Davies again all netted for the dominant visitors.

Match 11

Bangor City 2 (Christian Seargeant, Kieran Killackey) Bridgend Town 1 (Ramir Outlaw)
Welsh Cup semi-final – April 11, 2009

Holders City had to battle back from behind to see off the brave challenge of Welsh League hopefuls Bridgend at Park Avenue, Aberystwyth.
Raith Plant set up Ramir Outlaw to sidefoot the underdogs in front on 18 minutes.
Just two minutes later, Marc Limbert picked out Christian Seargeant on the edge of the D and his low shot beat the diving Brendan Cropley inside the right-hand post.
Citizens keeper Paul Smith produced a cracking save from Dale Raven before Les Davies headed against the bar before the break.
Kieran Killackey slotted home the winner in the 71st minute.

Match 12

Bangor City 2 (Les Davies, Christian Seargeant) Aberystwyth Town 0
Welsh Cup final – May 4, 2009

Goals from Les Davies and Christian Seargeant ensured Bangor retained the Welsh Cup for the first time in their long history.
There was an early scare when talisman Davies was forced off with a knee injury inside five minutes and seemed set to be replaced before the big left footer gave manager Nev Powell the thumbs up and re-entered the fray.
Bangor had most of the first-half chances but Robert Evans hit the post for Aber before a minute prior to the break, Davies headed in a Marc Limbert free-kick.
With less than four minutes gone after the restart Sion James hesitated, Davies pounced, and squared the ball near post where Seargeant clipped in the all-important second goal.

Bangor City rejoice after winning the 2009-10 Welsh Cup at Parc-y-Scarlets, Llanelli. Picture: Football Association of Wales

2009-10 season

Match 13

Bangor City 4 (Jamie Reed 2, Chris Sharp, James Brewerton) Elements Cefn Druids 1 (Jon Rush)
Welsh Cup second round – October 3, 2009

This was a much tighter game than the scoreline suggests and one which hinged a desperately close call on 63 minutes by young referee Bryn Markham Jones.
Druids led 1-0 at the break courtesy of a goal from Jon Rush.
Then came that 63rd minute incident.
A mix up at the foot of the post saw the ball run free to James Hussaney whose shot was blocked on the line by Chris Roberts – was it handball? – and Michael Johnston was at full stretch to keep out a follow up effort.
With a minute Bangor drew level. Marc Limbert crossed from the right and Jamie Reed headed home.
It was not until the final 13 minutes that City finally put a stranglehold on the tie – James Brewerton, Chris Sharp and Reed’s second sealing victory.

Match 14

Flint Town United 0 Bangor City 1 (Peter Hoy)
Welsh Cup third round – October 31, 2009

A hard fought win for City against a physically strong, skilful and well-organised Flint outfit.
Nev Powell was relieved in the end to come away a winner in his home town.
There was early controversy when Flint’s Paul Williams shot on target, Paul Smith saved, the home supporters roared for a goal but referee Huw Jones ruled the ball had not crossed the line.
Things were arguably evened up when Chris Sharp headed home for the visitors, but the official disallowed the goal for an alleged push from the City striker.
On 36 minutes City had the lead. A corner from Marc Limbert was headed home by Peter Hoy with tremendous power from six yards.
Hoy produced an heroic goal-line clearance after the break to deny Shaun Beck an equaliser.
Jamie Reed’s attempt was headed off the line by John Davies, Ashley Stott hit the bar, but the Silkmen also threatened when Paul Williams could hardly believe he steered his header straight at Smith with all the goal to aim at.

Match 15

Bangor City 3 (Jamie Reed 2, Craig Garside) Aberaman Athletic 1 (John Phillips)
Welsh Cup fourth round – January 30, 2010

Bangor dominated for long spells yet were not certain of their quarter-final spot until Jamie Reed won and converted a penalty in stoppage time.
On 18 minutes a throw in from the right fell to John Phillips, who swept the ball beyond Paul Smith to hand the underdogs a shock lead.
Bangor drew level in the 33rd minute. Reed controlled a cross in from Eddie Jebb and fired home from 15 yards to the relief of the Farrar End.
Five minutes after the restart City had the lead. Dave Morley played the ball upfield to Ashley Stott, whose layoff was guided forward by Reed into the path of Craig Garside, who stepped around keeper Gareth Williams to slide home from the right.
After that the hosts had efforts cleared off the line and hit the goal frame before a dubious penalty late on saw Reed convert to book a quarter-final spot.

Match 16

Bangor City 2 (Jamie Reed, Dave Morley) Llanelli 0
Welsh Cup quarter-final – February 27, 2010

City marched into the semis at the expense of the team they beat in the 2008 final.
And as usual between these two, there was controversy as the opening goal in the sixth minute came from the penalty spot.
Ashley Stott raced into the Llanelli box and was felled by Stuart Jones. Penalty said referee Mark Whitby and, given that Jones was last man, a red card for the visitors centre-back. TV replays would prove both decisions correct.
Up stepped Jamie Reed to plant the ball into the corner for a one-nil lead to the delight of the Farrar End masses.
Ten-man Llanelli suffered a lot of near misses in the second half, while Stott hit the post before two minutes into added time Dave Morley latched onto a deflection off Chris Holloway to score with a low shot from the edge of the box which booked a place in the last four.

Match 17

Bangor City 2 (Mark Smyth, Craig Garside) Prestatyn Town 0
Welsh Cup semi-final – April 11, 2010

Neville Powell’s heroes reached a third successive Welsh Cup final against opponents aiming to make it to their first ever.
The opening goal came inside 12 minutes when Eddie Jebb’s cross from the right sped just beyond Lee Hunt but only as far as Mark Smyth whose angled drive beat Jon Hill-Dunt and crashed into the far top corner of the net.
Jebb and Dave Morley both rattled the bar before the Citizens made it 2-0 before half time.
Peter Hoy’s long throw was flicked on by Hunt and headed home from close range by Craig Garside.
Morley was dismissed for two yellow cards in the second half, but it did not take the shine off another semi-final triumph for the all-blues.

Match 18

Bangor City 3 (Lee Hunt, Jamie Reed, Dave Morley) Port Talbot 2 (Drew Fahiya, Liam McCreesh)
Welsh Cup final – May 1, 2010

Bangor City became the first North Wales club to win the Welsh Cup three times in a row for almost 100 years when they pipped Port Talbot 3-2 in a thrilling final at Parc-y-Scarlets, Llanelli.
Not since Wrexham achieved a hat-trick of triumphs in Wales’ premier national knockout in 1908-09, 1909-10 and 1910-11 had such a feat been accomplished by a northern team until Bangor made it three on the bounce in 2008, 2009 and 2010.
It started promisingly for City, who took an sixth minute lead thanks to a dreadful mistake from Port Talbot goalkeeper Lee Kendall.
James Brewerton’s long clearance tempted Kendall to the edge of his box and – anxious about handling outside his area – he opted to head clear but misjudged the bounce and gifted Lee Hunt a finish he could not resist.
It was not long before Jamie Reed made it 2-0 with his sixth goal of that season’s competition, heading in Peter Hoy’s cross.
On 58 minutes Drew Fahiya hammered home to halve the deficit. With Talbot turning up the pressure, it was no great surprise when Liam McCreesh levelled on 85 minutes.
The momentum had swung towards the South Walians now, but this was Bangor City, Nev Powell and the Welsh Cup – a lethal triumvirate.
In stoppage time, Sion Edwards’ inswinging free kick found Dave Morley towering over Matthew Rees to head home the decider from point blank range.

2010-11 season

Match 19

Bangor City 2 (James Brewerton, Jamie Reed) Bryntirion Athletic 1 (R Williams)
Welsh Cup third round – November 6, 2010

It was a bit of a struggle for the holders as they began their quest for a fourth Welsh Cup in succession.
James Brewerton headed them in front early, but a powerful finish from Rhys Williams brought the lower level visitors back on terms. Jamie Reed bagged a second-half clincher.

Match 20

Bangor City 5 (Dave Morley, Michael Jukes, Les Davies, Alan Bull, Darren Moss) Haverfordwest County 3 (Neil Thomas, Jamie Bradford, Jack Christopher)
Welsh Cup fourth round – January 29, 2011

Leading 1-0 at half time, Bangor found themselves 3-1 down midway through the second period before staging a remarkable fightback to make it 20 straight Welsh Cup tie wins.
The fact this game was played at all was down to the amazing efforts of Mike Frazer the groundsman and a small army of volunteers as they somehow made a sodden surface playable.
In atrocious conditions, a Dave Morley finish from a Nicky Ward free kick was all that separated the sides at the interval.
With the wind behind them in the second half, the Bluebirds swooped all over the hosts, goals from Neil Thomas, Jamie Bradford and Jack Christopher putting them 3-1 to the good by the 67th minute.
Three goals in five minutes from the Citizens dramatically turned the tables again, Michael Jukes, Les Davies and Alan Bull on target.
Haverfordwest stormed back pushing for an equaliser, but in added time impressive debutant Darren Moss made it 5-3.

Match 21

Port Talbot Town 0 Bangor City 3 (Darren Moss, Dave Morley, Alan Bull)
Welsh Cup quarter-final – February 20, 2011

City were made to battle all the way, but three second-half goals saw them into a fourth consecutive Welsh Cup semi-final.
There was to be no revenge for Port Talbot after the previous year’s final heartbreak.
Darren Moss headed Bangor in front three minutes into the second period before Dave Morley converted a twice-taken penalty and Alan Bull closed the show.

Match 22

Bangor City 1 (Chris Jones) Connah’s Quay Nomads 0
Welsh Cup semi-final – April 9, 2011

Chris Jones’ fantastic goal seven minutes from time settled a tight Welsh Cup semi-final at Belle Vue, Rhyl.
The highlight of a goalless first half was a 40 yard volley from Chris Roberts which Louis Mackin saved well by his right post.
City continued to have the better of things after the restart, James Brewerton’s overhead effort brilliantly cleared off the line by Ben Collins.
It was a physical encounter and while it remained 0-0 the Quay still had a big chance.
But then in the 83rd minute Chris Jones took a couple of steps back before firing an unstoppable drive into the top left hand corner from 25 yards.
Nev’s heroes were into the final yet again!

Run Over

Match 23

Bangor City 1 (Alan Bull) Llanelli 4 (Rhys Griffiths 2, Craig Moses, Chris Venables)
Welsh Cup final – May 8, 2011

City’s amazing winning run in the Welsh Cup finally came to an end as a dazzling Llanelli outfit defeated them in the final at Parc-y-Scarlets.
But what a successful streak it had been – 22 ties, 22 wins.
It had to end sometime and better that it happened in a final.
And there was quite a “consolation” prize that season – Bangor City won their third Welsh Premier League title and first in 16 years.
What an era under Neville Powell!

Peter Hoy lifts the Welsh Cup for Bangor in 2009. Picture: Mike Smith, Citizens Choice

Bangor City’s amazing Welsh Cup winning run – October 6, 2007 to April 9, 2011

Played 22

Won 22

Goals For 60

Goals Against 15


8 – Ashley Stott

7 – Jamie Reed

6 – Les Davies

5 – Marc Limbert

4 – Christian Seargeant, Dave Morley

3 – Peter Hoy, Chris Sharp

2 – Michael Johnston, Darren Moss, Karl Noon, Sion Edwards, James Brewerton, Craig Garside, Alan Bull

1 – Mike Walsh, Kieran Killackey, Mark Smyth, Lee Hunt, Michael Jukes, Chris Jones

Huge thanks to Mike Smith, webmaster of the Citizens Choice website, without whose help we simply could not produce features like this – he’s one in a million

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: