Flashback – 15 years ago: Airbus leave Bangor feeling grounded at The Airfield

Gareth Owen (green and white) playing in a charity match at Caerwys. Owen experienced mixed fortunes in Airbus’ win over Bangor City 15 years ago

Airbus UK Broughton 2 (Kevin Leech 10, Dave Hughes 52)
Bangor City 1 (Alex Hay 46)
Welsh Premier League – October 28, 2005

Gareth Owen’s Airbus side deservedly took the spoils in this Welsh Premier battle with Bangor played at The Airfield 15 years ago today.

City had defensive problems with Paul O’Neill absent injured, Lee Martin limping out of the action on the stroke of half time and Martin Beattie moving to partner 18-year-old Kyle Jones at centre back.

But in fairness Ben Ogilvy, aged just 16, did well and must have impressed manager Peter Davenport as he tussled with his quandry at the back.

The Wingmakers took the lead on 10 minutes after some slick passing which took advantage of a touch of ball watching from the Bangor defence, allowing Kevin Leech to beat Andrew Price from 10 yards.

Leech headed wide from another opportunity before Alex Hay raced on goal to force a good save from Adam McGee.

Layton Maxwell passed infield to Chris Priest, but his shot was cleanly held by McGee. Maxwell himself then fired wide from Hay’s lay-off.

Price smothered at Gareth Owen’s feet before the keeper had to dive on the deck to gather the ball as Dave Hughes threatened.

Five minutes before the interval 18-year-old Airbus winger Craig Jones was booked for a two-footed lunge on Price which left the young goalkeeper needing treatment.

Bangor pressed in the closing minutes as Priest went close and won a second corner, but grim news before the whistle with the departure of Martin.

Half-time: Airbus 1 Bangor 0

Inside the first minute of the second half it was all-square when City’s former Rushden striker Hay took centre stage with a fine run on the right which saw him beat McGee at his near post for a welcome leveller.

On 52 minutes Hughes restored the lead for Airbus with a clean drive from the edge of the box as City failed to clear.

Airbus found profit in the long ball route as Leech used his aerial strength to win good field positions and the home side earned a couple more corners before young Kyle Jones defended bravely on the edge of his own box with a timely intervention to deny Hughes.

Bangor then replaced Paul Friel with Carl Lamb lining up on the right to allow Mike Walsh a central berth.

The Citizens might have drawn level in the 76th minute when a well-flighted corner from Ogilvy caused confusion in the Airbus defence and Walsh saw his shot turned away.

Into the final 10 minutes with all to play for.

Maxwell headed wide at the back post from another cleanly struck corner by Ogilvy.

With time running out the home side became jittery and City pressed for some late reward.

Gareth Owen was yellow carded for a foul on the stroke of 90 minutes and then shown a straight red for another incident five minutes later.

Maxwell saw his shot blocked after good approach play involving Walsh.

Ogilvy left the field during this time and was replaced by Mike Burke.

Finally, Lamb lofted high and wide from 15 yards to condemn Bangor to what was – in the end – a touch of rough justice, but over the 90 minutes Airbus just about deserved the win.

Airbus: Adam McGee, Paul Connolly, Steve Hopkins, Steve Futcher, John Davies, Gareth Sudlow, Craig Jones, Gareth Owen, Kevin Leech, Leigh Williams, Dave Hughes. Subs: James Hussaney, Andy Thomas, Dave Purcell.

Bangor: Andrew Price, Clayton Blackmore, Martin Beattie, Lee Martin (Ben Ogilvy 44 – Mike Burke 90), Kyle Jones, Paul Friel (Carl Lamb), Layton Maxwell, Chris Priest, Paul Roberts, Alex Hay, Mike Walsh.

Attendance: 240

Many thanks as always to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice website for match information and stats

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: