Flashback – 20 years ago: Druids pile on the misery for Bangor City

Aled Rowlands (left) and Sean Hazelden (centre) with team-mate Graham Brett after Bangor City won the 2000 Welsh Cup final. Rowlands and Hazelden were not as happy after City lost at Druids the following October. Picture supplied by Aled Rowlands

Cefn Druids 2 (Kevin Scott 48, Mark Allen 51)
Bangor City 0
League of Wales – October 21, 2000

In the middle of one of their poorest-ever runs, losing to teams they would often have beaten comfortably, City suffered a fourth straight league defeat at the hands of an ordinary-looking Druids outfit at Plaskynaston.

Bangor’s winless streak in the LoW would eventually stretch to eight matches – and they lost a few cup clashes in between to boot.

The Citizens would eventually finish an unimpressive 14th that season (in what was then an 18-team league) under the management of Meirion Appleton.

In this LoW tussle, which is 20 years old this week, City started well, playing up the hill, with Aled Rowlands and Nathan Comley-Excel taking advantage of the clear and obvious weakness on the home right.  

In the fifth minute home midfielder Simon Richards was booked for a wild challenge in that area. From the free kick Emrys Williams headed narrowly wide.

On 10 minutes Jamie Hughes received a ball to feet on the edge of the Druids box, neatly set up by current Swansea City (2020) head coach Steve Cooper, but his clean strike went just wide.  

Phil Johnson swept over a high ball which Ancients keeper Daniel Holdcroft fumbled for a corner. The little midfielder took the kick which the towering Sean Hazelden met at the near post but headed onto the top of the crossbar.  
Next Rowlands released Cooper down the right, his excellent cross was met by Comley-Excel, whose miss from eight yards was ominous. 

Cefn enjoyed occasional chances too which Dave Williams handled readily.

Ten minutes before half time Cooper hit the bar from 20 yards, then on 43 Paul Roberts cracked a superb left foot drive which Holdcroft touched over.

Astonishingly there was still time for Johnson to hit a 20-yarder which the keeper held.  

On half time Druids defender Huw Griffiths connected with a corner and then poked the rebound wide from close range.

Half-time: 0-0

The outcome swung on two goalkeeping errors.  

In the 46th minute, Rowlands swung across a corner won by Johnson. 

Holdcroft palmed the cross out onto the head of Paul Roberts, but his effort went narrowly wide.  

Within two minutes Dave Williams hesitated over a clearance, and was dispossessed by Kevin Scott who curled the ball into the unguarded goal to break the deadlock.

Soon after Mark Allen stole in unmarked in the centre of the goal to double the advantage from a free-kick. Game over.

On the hour former City favourite Frank Mottram was withdrawn along with Jay Davies to be replaced by Mike Davies and Andy Davies respectively.  

Bangor then sent on Matthew Cross for Comley-Excel with Aled Rowlands moving infield.

The whole affair largely fizzled out, although on 75 minutes a Scott Williams free-kick hit the wall, then Jamie Hughes shot over from 25 yards thanks to a deflection.

The final real chance fell to the hard-working Emrys Williams whose near post header went just wide.

Cefn Druids: Daniel Holdcroft, Jay Davies (Andy Davies 60), Mark Rutter, Aled Rowlands, Mark Allen, Huw Griffiths, Simon Richards, Richard Bean, Frank Mottram (Mike Davies 60), Kevin Scott, Alan Williams. Sub not used: Tim Allen.

Bangor City: Dave Williams, Steve Cooper, Aled Rowlands, Emrys Williams, Sean Hazelden, Scott Williams, Robbie Williams, Phil Johnson, Jamie Hughes, Paul Roberts, Nathan Comley-Excel (Matthew Cross 61). Subs not used: Jamie Jardine, Ricky Lampkin.

Attendance: 380.

Many thanks as always to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice website for his match information

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: