Flashback – 10 years ago: Port storm to comfortable win at Rhydymwyn

Porthmadog’s Marcus Orlik (red and black) battles for possession at Rhydymwyn. Pictures: Emyr Gareth

Rhydymwyn 0
Porthmadog 3 (Iwan Williams 32, Jamie McDaid 69, Paul Roberts 82)
Cymru Alliance League – October 16, 2010

This was a more comfortable win than even the scoreline suggests, with Port’s domination of this Cymru Alliance encounter played 10 years ago today worthy of more goals.

The visitors were on the attack from the start but 14 minutes had passed before the first real threat on goal.

Ryan Davies put Marcus Orlik away on the right of the box, but home keeper Ryan Roberts saved well at his near post.

Darren Pritchard did well to clear a Ryan Davies header off the line in the 18th minute.

Two minutes later Orlik was brought down on the edge of the box but the free kick which followed was blasted over the bar by Mike Foster.

Minutes later Cai Jones ran onto a long ball, but with the keeper well out of his goal, the striker’s effort rolled narrowly wide.

With 32 minutes on the clock the deadlock was broken.

Orlik slipped the ball through for Iwan Williams to run onto on the right of the box. The winger cut inside and fired a low shot across the keeper into the far corner of the net.

Port celebrate a goal

Cai Jones steered a shot wide of the advancing Roberts but tantalisingly against the foot of the post with the keeper doing well to scramble back to save from the rebound.

With half time approaching the home side mounted their first real attack with Tom McElmeel cutting in from the left and Richard Harvey needed to be at his best to turn a powerful shot away for a corner at his near post.

Half-time: Rhydymwyn 0 Porthmadog 1

The second half saw Port looking for the security of a second goal.

Orlik twice came close with Roberts saving a header and another attempt going narrowly wide.

A warning for Port came in the 67th minute when Ryan Davies had to clear McElmeel’s dangerous downward header.

In the 69th minute the second Port goal which was richly deserved arrived.

A clever Cai Jones flick found Barry Evans, who unselfishly knocked the ball into the path of Jamie McDaid.

The young winger unhesitatingly directed the ball past Roberts to give Port breathing space.

Port’s Ryan Davies (furthest right) heads for goal

Cai Jones and McDaid combined well again but Roberts did well to keep out the latter’s strike.

A Paul Roberts header from a Foster free kick after 82 minutes made the result completely safe.

Harvey flung himself full length to his left to thwart McElmeel and deny Rhyd a consolation.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Geraint Mitchell, Mike Foster, Darren Jones (Jack Jones 80), Ryan Davies, Rhys Roberts, Dan Pyrs, Iwan Williams (Jamie McDaid 61), Cai Jones, Marcus Orlik (Paul Roberts 71), Barry Evans.

Rhydymwyn: Ryan Roberts, John Duffield (Tom Williams), John Shepherd, Tom McElmeel, Dafydd Gruffydd, Matt Harvey, Darren Pritchard, Dean Hughes, Adam Renshaw (Jordan Taylor), Gishin Furminal, Joey Durslem.

Huge thanks to Gareth Williams for match information and Emyr Gareth for photographs

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: