Skip to toolbar

Flashback – five years ago today: Prestatyn take the spoils at Holywell

Jordan Davies (red) scored Prestatyn’s opener at Holywell five years ago. He left the Seasiders this summer. Picture: John Pickles

Holywell Town 0
Prestatyn Town 2 (Jordan Davies 34, Alex Jones 88)
Cymru Alliance League – October 7, 2015

Having been relegated from the Welsh Premier the previous season, Prestatyn were at best an average side on their return to the Cymru Alliance in 2015-16.

However, five years ago this evening, the Seasiders picked up a fine win at top-five outfit Holywell.

The Wellmen were first to put on pressure, Steve Lewis watching his effort saved and put out for a corner.

Graeme Williams had a shot blocked before Lewis intercepted a cross-field pass and fed Tony Roebuck who shot wide.

Prestatyn responded when Jordan Davies was put through one-on-one with Mike Platt, but the keeper saved with his feet from the speedy attacker.

Another quick break from the visitors saw Jack Kenny attempt to chip Platt but his effort fell wide of the target.

Platt was once again called into action to produce a great save from the lively Davies.

Lewis then broke free for the Wellmen and appeared to be brought down in the area, but the referee waved play on.

Moments later, a slip by Dafydd Griffith put Davies in, but Platt came out on top with a superb one-handed save.

A few minutes later, however, Davies gave the visitors the lead. A ball over the defence saw Davies beat his marker to run on and fire past Platt.

Lewis’ shot was blocked before Ryan Davidson intercepted a cross-field ball and controlled well, before setting himself up for a shot which flew inches too high over Mike Jones’ crossbar.

Davidson then cleverly lobbed over to Lewis, who beat the advancing Jones but the ball fell wide of the far post. More late half pressure from the hosts brought no reward.

Half-time: Holywell Town 0 Prestatyn Town 1

The second half got underway with the Wellmen once again pushing the visitors back.

A few minutes in, a deep ball into the box saw Phil Lloyd head back across the face of goal but Prestatyn’s David Hayes cleared for a corner.

From the flag-kick, the ball fell to Lewis, whose deft chip clipped the top of the crossbar.

Town were having a good spell, Griffith heading goalwards, but Jones once again concocted a good save to prevent the equaliser.

Jones was again in the thick of the action soon after, doing well to foil Lloyd before Holywell defender Peter Hoy picked up a yellow card.

The home side’s task was made even harder a few minutes later as Hoy was given his marching orders for a second yellow.

And the visitors made sure of the win by adding a second.

Brett Cotton attempted to chest the ball back to Platt from a cross into the area, but the weak effort was intercepted by Alex Jones who calmly slotted home with a couple of minutes remaining.

The Seasiders could have made it three deep into injury time. 

Jon Fisher Cooke fired the ball towards goal but Platt saved well, preventing the ball from crossing the line, although the Prestatyn supporters insisted it had gone over.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: