Flashback: CPD Gwalchmai’s fantastic 2009-10 season

Left to right: Jon Williams, Andrew Sinclair, Rob Hughes (joint-manager), Kenny Hughes, Paul Owen (joint-manager), Jason Thomas and Steven Sinclair. They all did so much to bring success to Gwalchmai in 2009-10. Photos by Dai Sinclair

Ten years ago CPD Gwalchmai celebrated their greatest ever season.

Now in 2020 the Anglesey club are building a squad they hope can achieve big things again.

Craig Evans and his management team of Carl Taylor, Liam Ewing and Dyfed Thomas have brought in a mix of young and well-travelled talent to play alongside the experienced heads.

The 2020-21 squad are shaping nicely, but they will do well to match what their counterparts did back in 2010.

In that season, Gwalch lifted the Gwynedd League title, Gwynedd Premier Cup and Cwpan Gwynedd treble, as well as reaching the finals of the NWCFA Intermediate Cup and Barritt Cup.

Players, management and supporters of Gwalchmai celebrate after winning the Gwynedd League title. Picture: Dai Sinclair

Paul Owen and Rob Hughes’ side clinched the championship with a 1-1 draw at arch-rivals Bodedern Athletic.

Needing just a point to take the title, Gwalch trailed at half time to a Iwan Jones goal, but Craig Evans’ stunning 30-yard equaliser in the second period brought the championship to Maes Meurig for a club in only their second season at this level.

Craig Evans celebrates the all-important equaliser for Gwalchmai

Had Bodedern won they would have pinched the title, but despite having opportunities to extend their lead after the interval it was not to be.

Gwalch went on to spend a few impressive seasons in the Welsh Alliance.

Bodedern (green) and Gwalchmai played out a cracking title decider

That 2009/10 campaign saw Gwalch lose 2-1 in the NWCFA Intermediate Cup final to Prestatyn Town Reserves at Farrar Road, despite taking the lead with a wonder chip from Corey Sinnott.

As for the Barritt Cup final, Gwalch were going for a fifth giant-killing in the competition, having knocked out four Welsh Alliance sides in Llanrwst United, Llanrug United, Nefyn United and Llandudno Junction – a fantastic feat.

Playing in front of more than 300 on a return to Bangor City’s ground, Gwalch competed well with Pwllheli, but eventually went down 2-0.

Gwalch’s closest call saw Evans’ header from a Sinnott cross come back off the bar, then substitute Peter Twigg’s follow-up was blocked.

“It was a case of too many big games in quick succession catching us up,” concluded manager Owen after the match.

But what a season it had been for CPD Gwalchmai.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: