Welsh Cup classics No 12: Rhyl v Goytre United (2005-06)

Belle Vue was the scene of a great Welsh Cup tie in 2005-06 between Rhyl and Goytre United. Picture: Clint Jones, The 94th Minute football blog

Rhyl 5 (Stones 48, Moran 54 & 65, Sharp 70 & 80)
Goytre United 2 (Davies 7, Penney 30)
Welsh Cup quarter-final
March 4, 2006

Trailing 2-0 at half time to rank outsiders Goytre United, Rhyl woke their ideas up after the break and romped into the Welsh Cup semis with a five-goal salvo.

Welsh League Division One title contenders Goytre were given little hope of progression against the Welsh Premier Lilywhites, three-time winners of the national cup, the most recent success having come in 2004 as part of a quadruple-winning campaign.

But the visitors looked on course for one of the great Welsh Cup upsets when they led mighty Rhyl 2-0 at the midway point.

Kevin Davies netted on seven minutes and Ryan Penney struck on the half-hour to leave the large home crowd shell-shocked at the interval.

But Rhyl manager John Hulse showed his mettle as his dressing room tirade left his team in no doubt what was expected of them in the second half.

And they delivered emphatically.

Greg Stones powered home a far-post header to reduce the deficit and two goals in 11 minutes from Andy Moran, one from the spot, put Rhyl ahead in the 65th minute.

The home supporters were now in raptures and it got better, substitute Chris Sharp crowning a sensational fightback with a brace to earn the Belle Vue side a semi-final tie with Port Talbot.

Rhyl went on to win the Welsh Cup for the fourth time, defeating arch-rivals Bangor City 2-0 in the final at the Racecourse, Wrexham.

Rhyl: John Gann, Mark Connolly (Tim Edwards), Stuart Graves, Greg Stones, George Horan, James Brewerton, Marc Limbert (Mark Powell), Andy Moran, Lee Hunt (Chris Sharp), Ricky Evans, Chris Adamson. Attendance: 456.

Other quarter-final action

Paul Roberts grabbed the only goal as Bangor City advanced to the semi-finals with a narrow 1-0 victory against Carmarthen Town at Farrar Road.

Caernarfon Town went down 3-0 at Llanelli and Llangefni Town, aiming to become the first Anglesey team to reach the Welsh Cup last four, were beaten 2-0 at Port Talbot.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: