Cymru North: Wins for Porthmadog, Ruthin and Colwyn Bay

Iddon Price (red) on the ball for Porthmadog against Buckley. Picture: Trevor Jones Photography

Match of the Day at Y Traeth

Porthmadog 2 (Shaun Cavanagh 51, 58)
Buckley Town 0
Cymru North – February 29, 2020

Shaun Cavanagh made it five goals in three games since returning to the Traeth with a vital double in this victory which could yet prove crucial in Porthmadog’s bid to avoid relegation, Gareth Williams reports.

Former Bangor City, Caernarfon Town and Llandudno front man Cavanagh struck twice in Port’s last outing – a commendable 2-2 draw at leaders Prestatyn Town – and he repeated the feat on Saturday.

Craig Papirnyk’s bottom-three side closed the gap on the teams above with their first league triumph in eight attempts.

In weather which made it almost impossible to produce creative football, the task was to play the conditions.

Buckley, with the gale force wind on their backs in the opening half, knew they would probably need at least a couple of goals to defend during the second period. However, Port’s defence stayed strong and kept their heads in difficult circumstances.

The nearest the hosts went to taking the lead came on 23 minutes when Sam Spridgeon headed wide at the back post.

Jake Roberts and Josh Jones also went close, but come the interval it was 0-0.

The game was won and lost during the first 15 minutes of the second half.

Jay Gibbs opened up the visitors’ defence with a pass out to the right to Jamie McDaid.

The winger cut inside and lifted a perfect cross to the back post, allowing Cavanagh to send a bullet header past Joey Makaruk on 51 minutes.

It took just seven more minutes for Port to add a second.

Iwan Lewis sent a superbly controlled ball into space for Cavanagh to chase, and the forward beat the advancing Makaruk with the neatest of lobs into an empty net.

On 72 minutes Gibbs sent an angled shot across goal and narrowly wide.

Then two minutes later Rhys Hughes almost made it a dream debut with a pacy run and shot which Makaruk needed to push over the bar.

This win does not lift Port out of the bottom three but it reduces the deficit and hopefully paves the way for the other victories needed to get out of this hole.

It also breaks a jinx which seems to have overtaken the club lately.

Gareth Jones Evans picked up a red card and a ban, John Owen is out with a bad injury suffered at Gresford and then striker Josh Davies broke his leg in a friendly.

Porthmadog: Richard Harvey, Rob Evans, Tomos Emlyn, Iddon Price, Josh Banks, Ceri James (Berian Rhys 88), Iwan Lewis, Jay Gibbs, Shaun Cavanagh, Cai Jones, Jamie McDaid (Rhys Hughes 75).

Buckley: Joseff Makaruk, Rhys Hewitt (Dylan Roberts 67), Luke Blizzard, Josh Jones, Chris Hibbert, Ben Barratt, Keiron Moore, Aled Bellis, Phil Molyneux, Jake Roberts.

Rest of the Cymru North

Tom McCready’s 86th minute winner ensured Colwyn Bay beat Penrhyncoch 2-1 to make it four league wins in a row in their chase for a top three finish.

Playing against the wind in the first half, the Bay started well with Penrhyn keeper Leigh Jenkins making smart close range saves from Sam Downey and Mitch Bryant.

In the 18th minute Jenkins was beaten by Bryant’s header for his 14th goal of the campaign from Cai Owen’s great cross.

The Seagulls were unlucky not to be further ahead by half-time with Sion Edwards hitting the bar and Toby Jones firing past the keeper from a corner only for the referee to disallow the goal because of a head injury to a Penrhyncoch defender.

The player did not need much treatment and the referee restarted the game with a drop ball for the keeper to kick clear – so there was obviously no foul.

Bay found it more difficult with the wind behind them in the second half.

Penrhyn then snatched a shock equaliser after Sam Downey was harshly penalised and booked for what looked like a good tackle.

The free kick into the area fell nicely for Owain Rhys James to shoot past Andy Coughlin in what was the visitors’ only shot of the game.

Colwyn dominated the closing 20 minutes and on 86 McCready’s 10th goal of the season saw his shot from the edge of the area beat the diving keeper after good hold up play and lay-off by Bryant.

Llangefni Town were left less than happy after a 1-0 home defeat against Ruthin Town in a game where key decisions tended to go against the Anglesey side too often.

Cefni had a penalty appeal for alleged handball turned down in the first half, yet Ruthin were given a spot-kick for the same offence, which appeared far less blatant.

Josh Jones netted from 12 yards on 45 minutes.

On the hour Llangefni had Cai Roberts sent off, a decision which again left the home side bewildered.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: