Welsh Alliance: Cup wins for Hotspur, Denbigh, Kinmel, Greenfield, Aberffraw and Gwalchmai

Gaerwen keeper David Clarke saves Jacob Walker’s penalty, but Denbigh No10 Mark Roberts (dark blue) followed up to convert the rebound. Denbigh Town pictures are supplied by Stephen Whitfield and Roy Gunther

Barritt/Mawddach Cup second round

Gaerwen 0 Denbigh Town 1

It took an extra time goal from Mark Roberts via a rebound following a penalty save to finally put Welsh Alliance Division One high-flyers Denbigh into the quarter-finals at the expense of determined Division Two underdogs Gaerwen.

A hard-fought contest on Anglesey was played in extreme weather conditions which changed from gale force winds to lashing rain and finally a torrential hailstorm.

The pivotal moment came in a dramatic 101st minute when Roberts was brought down in the penalty area by Gaerwen defender Paul Bryant.

Bryant received his marching orders for a second yellow card.

Denbigh’s top goal-scorer Jake Walker hit the penalty low and hard to the left of Gaerwen keeper David Clarke.
The experienced glovesman guessed correct and dived to save, but could only parry the ball into the path of Roberts who fired in from close range.

Gaerwen had the first chance when Chris Bennett blasted just over the bar after only five minutes.

Town had the advantage of playing with the strong wind in the first half but never capitalised.

Denbigh’s best chance of the half fell to Mark Roberts. A superb through ball by Jonathan Terry saw Roberts beat the offside trap and he headed for goal, but Clarke made himself big and the striker could only shoot against the keeper.

The second half saw Gaerwen have the early pressure and Joe Griffith was forced to make an excellent save from Bennett.

Minutes later Denbigh were relieved to see Andrew Wannop’s shot clear the bar from 12 yards.

As the game progressed so the challenges became more intense and both teams had yellow cards given for foul play.

Griffith did well to finger-tip a dangerous corner away to safety before Dan Clarke shot just wide for the visitors

Both teams had opportunities to clinch the tie, but neither possessed that finishing touch and the game went into extra time.

Dan Clarke was denied by his namesake before the penalty moment which decided the game.

Denbigh manager Dewi Llion said afterwards: “This was a tough cup tie played in difficult conditions. Gaerwen proved to be stern opposition and their defence caused us problems as we could not break them down.

“I felt our fitness showed in the extra 30 minutes and when Robbo got our goal, we were able to control the game better, especially as they were reduced to 10 men.”

Llanberis 0 Kinmel Bay 1

Kinmel Bay (light blue) defend against Llanberis. Picture: Andre Pepper @eventphotowales

Matty Griffiths notched the all-important goal early in the second half to guide Kinmel Bay into the last eight.

Matthew Marsh-Evans found the net early on for the visitors in this tie played on 3G at Nantporth, Bangor, but was ruled offside by the linesman.

Griffiths hit the post and Nyal Hughes clipped the outside of the upright.

Bay were excellent in the first half, playing some very good football, while Kie Ellis was solid in defence.

Four minutes into the second half, Ashley Wood released Griffiths to find keeper’s bottom right-hand corner – 1-0.

Stand-in Bay keeper Jordan Worthington made an excellent save diving low to his right, then midway through the half, Marsh-Evans had another goal disallowed.

Llanberis had a good 10-minute spell, but the visitors managed to absorb the pressure. Ellis, filling in at centre-back, was man of the match for the winners.

Holyhead Hotspur 3 Llanrwst United 1

Kenleigh Owen was on target twice for a Hotspur side which stayed on course for a four-timer with a hard-fought triumph over the Rwsters at the New Stadium.

Already top of Welsh Alliance Division One, into the Cookson Cup final and FAW Trophy semis, Darren Garmey’s side have also advanced to the Barritt Cup quarters following Saturday’s victory.

Hotspur made it 14 games undefeated after claiming a third win in four meetings with Llanrwst, all their successes to date coming in cups.

Adding to Owen’s double was an Alex Jones goal, while Leon Doran replied for the Conwy Valley visitors.

The tie was switched to Holy Island as Llanrwst’s pitch was unplayable.

Other ties

Aberffraw edged a cracking 3-2 victory at Llannefydd to maintain their fine form in the cups, Gary Bolton, Nathan Moore and Matty Reynolds grabbing the visiting goals, Luke Appleby with both for the hosts.

A Marc Evans penalty and Gareth Allman overhead kick ensured Gwalchmai eliminated Llanrug United 2-0 at Maes Meurig.

Dan Henley (2), Sam Jones, Keiron Roberts and Dean Hyland combined to deliver a thumping 5-1 victory for Greenfield at Mynydd Llandegai, Iwan Morris for the hosts.

Barritt/Mawddach Cup quarter-final draw

Barmouth and Dyffryn or Llandudno Junction v Denbigh Town
Holyhead Hotspur v Aberffraw
Bodedern/Glan Conwy v Kinmel Bay
Greenfield v Gwalchmai
ties to be played March 21

Welsh Alliance

Rhys Alun Williams marked his recent return to Nantlle Vale in style with a hat-trick in his team’s 4-1 beating of Prestatyn Sports in Division One.

Gethin Thomas also struck for Vale, Michael Jones with a late consolation penalty for the travellers.

Penrhyndeudraeth took the spoils 2-0 at Bodedern Athletic, Bryn Humphreys and Tomos Hughes with the goals.

In the Reserves Division, Pwllheli hammered Kinmel Bay 7-3, Iwan Roberts (3), Rhys Williams (2), Jason Banks and Owain Parramore sharing the home goals.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: