Skip to toolbar

Vale of Clwyd & Conwy League: Rhuddlan and Abergele stay unbeaten, NFA drop first points

Llanfairfechan Town Reserves ensured NFA dropped their first points of the season in Division One

Unbeaten Rhuddlan Town continued their ruthless title quest with a 6-1 victory at Llanelwy Athletic in the Vale of Clwyd and Conwy League Premier Division.

In difficult, windy conditions at an exposed Coronation Gardens in Rhyl, Town took the lead through Jay Whitehouse, who added a quick second after Jordan Bellham fed a great through ball.

Llanelwy pulled a goal back through Steve Kirk, but Wayne Hughes’ visitors, playing into a strong breeze, held out to half time with a 2-1 lead.

The second half saw the leaders take time to get going before Whitehouse struck again for his hat-trick.

Substitute Rhys Machin notched his first senior goal with a neat finish, Matty Rees added a penalty, then Ian Davenport, another replacement, converted at the back post after fantastic footwork from Zak Hughes provided the assist.

Winning manager Wayne Hughes said: “I’m delighted with the win; anything can happen in those conditions so it was a great result.

“Great to have Jordan Bellham back after injury, who played a big part today, and both subs getting on the scoresheet.”

Bro Cernyw v Llansannan unfortunately had to be abandoned after 25 minutes due to a serious leg injury sustained by visiting player Elis Vaughan. 

Players, officials and supporters from both teams, as well as the match official and league, wish him a speedy recovery.

Second-placed Abergele are also still undefeated and three points behind Rhuddlan having played a game more following a 3-2 verdict at Y Glannau.

Jack Hoult, Liam Roberts and Jac Lloyd were the away scorers, Owain Jones and Connor Heath for the hosts.

Postponed: Cerrigydrudion P Llanfairfechan Town P, Llandudno Athletic P Meliden P.

Division One

One of the longest standing 100% records in North Wales football came to an end after Division One leaders NFA were held 3-3 at Llanfairfechan Town Reserves.

And it could have been worse for the Rhyl-based visitors as they trailed 3-1 entering the closing stages.

Elliot Croston (2) and Iestyn Thomas put Llanfair into a winning position, Jordan Taylor replying, before NFA struck twice in added time through Taylor again and Paul Jones.

Llysfaen are now top on goal difference after a tremendous 6-0 whipping of tricky opponents Denbigh Development.

Sean Sheridan netted four for Emlyn Robert Jones’ free-scoring undefeated side, Jake Reynolds adding another couple, as well as having a penalty saved.

Winning boss Jones said: “I am really pleased with the result today.

“We spoke a lot during the week about Denbigh, the fact they are a team that play on confidence from what we had seen of them in pre-season, as well as knowing they will come to us in confidence after last week (when they pushed NFA so close in a 5-4 loss).

“We spoke about killing them off early and we executed our game plan perfectly. The conditions were horrible but in the first 25 minutes we played some fantastic football. Even with the wind causing both teams grief, the rain hammering down and the pitch cutting up, we really got the ball moving well.

“The second half was tough for us, Denbigh caused us a lot more problems. I can’t ask for more than a win and a clean sheet again. Under the circumstances my players were brilliant.”

Llandudno Amateurs Reserves triumphed 6-1 at Henllan, Morgan Davies, James Kane, Sam Maddocks, Steve Collins (2) and Paul Vinall (pen) splitting the away goals, Shaun Edwards the sole home marksman.

Penrhyn Bay Dragons thrashed Machno United 7-2.

Jonah Jackson, Luke Jones, Tom Parry (2), Ryan McIlvogue and Solomon Dickens (2) provided the home seven, Dion Lloyd and Dafydd Lloyd with consolations for the visitors.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: