Football

Llandudno Ladies want to join the North Wales Women’s Football League

A Llandudno Ladies line-up from pre-season

Llandudno Ladies FC are trying to save their season by applying for membership of the North Wales Women’s Football League.

Tudno resigned from the Welsh Premier Women’s League last week after the strain of making several trips to South Wales every season finally took its toll.

The current campaign had caused particular problems for the Maesdu Park side in getting enough players together for the long journeys south.

Llandudno’s departure now means there are no North Wales representatives left in the national league. Northop Hall, Caernarfon Town, Wrexham and Rhyl have all pulled out of the top-flight in recent years.

Tudno’s decision to step down has alerted a lot of interest from other North Wales clubs in their players.

Winger Jordanne Greenough is believed to be bound for WPWL club Abergavenny and goalkeeper Rebecca Elliott is set to join Caernarfon Town.

However, Llandudno secretary Geoff Davies said the club hopes it can keep the majority of the squad intact by still continuing to play in the second-tier North Wales League.

Davies revealed the club had considered quitting the WPWL earlier in the season, but opted to soldier on until November.

“We’ve asked if we can join the North Wales League,” he said. “A lot of the players don’t want to leave so we’ve decided to see if it’s possible for us to carry on.

“When we initially enquired in October we were told ‘no’, but after talking to the league about our resignation from the Welsh Premier they’ve agreed to look at it again.

“We’d be behind in the fixtures, but some teams have only played three league games and we’re into December. We’ve got a good home ground available for the rest of the season and we’re confident we’d get all our fixtures played.”

Davies is mindful of the fact Rhyl Development were allowed to join the North Wales League five months into the 2017-18 season after FAW intervention, but added: “If we’re told no we’ll accept it.

“We’re not out to cause bother. If we were rejected we’d look to pick up the pieces at the end of the summer and look to carry on next season.”

The secretary added he hoped a decision on Llandudno’s future can be confirmed before Christmas.

If Llandudno are allowed to join the North Wales League, they could hopefully still remain in the Welsh Cup, where they are due to host Abergavenny in the quarter-finals on February 9, 2020.

davejones

Recent Posts

Friday football fixtures – August 21

Mason Blackwell-Jones (right) in action for Airbus UK Broughton who travel to Colwyn bay this…

10 hours ago

FLASHBACK: Darren Thomas scores a Welsh Premier League hat-trick – but it was not for Caernarfon Town

Eighteen years ago Darren Thomas scored his first Welsh Premier League hat-trick - but it…

11 hours ago

Eight golden moments from Darren Thomas’ time at Caernarfon Town

Darren Thomas (left) and manager Richard Davies celebrate Caernarfon Town's famous victory over Crusaders of…

12 hours ago

Darren Thomas returns to CPD Porthmadog

Photo/Graphic: CPD Porthmadog Thirteen years after he left Y Traeth, Darren Thomas is a CPD…

13 hours ago

Manager pays touching tribute to departing Caernarfon Town legend

Darren Thomas (left) and Richard Davies celebrate after winning the 2025-26 Welsh Cup. Picture: FAW…

1 day ago

Wednesday night North Wales football action all under one roof – 13 goals for Nantlle, Asa double seals it for Boded, NFA edge derby

Goalmouth action from NFA (light blue) versus Kinmel Bay. Pictures: MATT JOHNSON NORTH WALES FOOTBALL…

1 day ago