Welsh National (Wrexham Area): Leaders Rhostyllen hit seven, Holywell’s Mark Connolly bags fourth hat-trick this term

Mark Connolly (furthest right – red and white) scores yet again for Holywell at Penycae. Picture: Lee Douglas

Mark Connolly made it back-to-back hat-tricks and four in total for the season as Holywell Town romped to an impressive 5-1 victory at Penycae in the Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division.

Welsh Premier League 100-goal man Connolly has made a massive impact for the Wellmen since emerging from a brief retirement to join the third-tier club this term.

Jake Cooke set the visitors on their way with the opening goal at the Riverside after four minutes.

Connolly made it 2-0 with 14 minutes played and Jacob Wise soon added number three.

With half-an-hour gone Connolly got his second to ensure Town led 4-0 at the break.

Connolly grabbed his treble on the hour before Holywell were reduced to 10 men as Jason Renshaw received his marching orders.

The home side pulled one back late on but the game was already won.

Wellmen manager John Haseldin said: “Big three points on the road today, we played some really good football, especially in the first half and everyone worked their socks off when we went down to 10 men.

“I would like to thank the loyal supporters that travelled to the game in Arctic conditions to get behind the lads.”

Now unbeaten in nine, Holywell remain in fifth place, seven points behind leaders Rhostyllen but with three games in hand.

Rhostyllen were delighted to emerge 7-0 victors from their clash at Rhos Aelwyd, Lewis Clamp scoring three, Tom Douglas (2), James Jones and an own goal making up the thrashing.

Mold Alexandra bounced back from last weekend’s FAW Trophy disappointment at Radnor Valley by beating title hopefuls Brymbo 4-2 at Alyn Park.

Conner Kendrick (2), Steve Watkins and Ben Howarth provided the home goals, Jamie Cumming and Billy New replying.

Rhydymwyn versus Saltney Town ended 1-1. Charlie Bradley scored for the home side and Tom Bailey equalised for the Bordermen. Special mention to Sam Thomas who was outstanding in the home goal.

Barry Torrence struck twice as FC Queen’s Park took the honours 3-0 at Brickfield Rangers.

Edgar Lima scored early for the Park when his initial shot was saved, but he put away the rebound.

James Gregory missed a great chance for a second before new Park signing Tom Belton was forced into a great save from a 30-yard thunderbolt.

The first half was wrapped up by an unbelievable finish from Torrence. As the ball was crossed into the box he somehow managed to stretch past the defender and loop the ball home.

After the break, Tristan Wagner was fouled in the box and Torrence converted the penalty to secure the points.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: