FAW Trophy: Denbigh Town, Barmouth and Nantlle Vale progress in day of few ties

Denbigh Town keeper Antoni Sarnowski in the thick of the action. Picture supplied by Denbigh Town FC

Denbigh Town advanced to the last 32 of the FAW Trophy after two early goals from Jake Walker laid the foundations for a 2-1 win over FC Queen’s Park at Central Park.

Only three North Wales third round ties survived the weather today, Barmouth and Dyffryn United winning 4-0 away to Llandudno Junction in a game played at Maesdu Park, Llandudno, while Nantlle Vale pipped visitors Coedpoeth 1-0.

Both Denbigh and Queen’s Park play tier three football, the visitors sitting third in the Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division, whereas Town occupy the same position in Welsh Alliance Division One.

This was always going to be a close game and the heavy rain over the 24 hours leading up to kick off meant conditions would be difficult.

The Park were on an unbeaten run of six games whereas Denbigh had lost three of their last four.

Straight into the home line-up came midweek signing from Conwy Borough Moses Barnett, a former Everton prospect.

After 12 minutes Chris Bennett’s low cross from the byline left Walker with an easy tap-in from six yards to give Denbigh an early lead.

Two minutes later it was 2-0 with an identical type of move, Bennett providing the assist and Walker the finish.

The visitors had started the brighter and despite this setback they pressurised Denbigh’s goal with Town keeper Antoni Sarnowski being called upon to make a fine save from a free kick.

Mark Roberts had the ball in the net for Denbigh after 30 minutes but was adjudged offside by referee Martin Trigg. Five minutes later Walker thought he had got his hat-trick but Mr Trigg ruled offside.

In the second period, Sarnowski made some crucial saves as on three separate occasions he stopped a one on one situation with him blocking well from opposing forwards Barry Torrence and Tristan Wagner.

With the game reaching its final minutes the Park were reduced to 10 men when Sean Dodd picked up his second yellow card for a foul on Paul Fleming.

Still the visitors persisted and as the Denbigh defence dropped deeper James Gregory fired in a late consolation for the travellers.

The home fans were grateful to hear the final whistle five minutes later to see Denbigh into the hat for the next round.

Denbigh Town: Antoni Sarnowski, Sion Jones, Dan Lloyd, John Terry, Moses Barnett, Chris Bennett, Stu Vernon, Will Ashley, Paul Fleming, Jake Walker, Mark Roberts. Subs: Miles Todd, Owain Roberts, Dan Clarke, Conor Jones, Billy Holmes.
Queen’s Park: Joe Jones, Rhys Hughes, William John Evans, Tony Jones, Luke Hughes, Sean Dodd, Aled Powell, Tristan Wagner, James Gregory, Barry Torrence, Ben White. Subs: James Tizzard, David Evans, Edgar Lima.

  • Bobby Griffith, Osian Owen and Rob Murfet (2) led Barmouth and Dyffryn to a 4-0 win over Llandudno Junction, while Ashley Owen’s 18th minute goal was enough for Welsh Alliance Nantlle Vale to see off WNL Division One underdogs Coedpoeth 1-0 at Maes Dulyn.
Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: