North Wales Club rugby: Weekend results and reports plus upcoming fixtures

Shotton Steel in action during their 38-14 win at Welshpool last Saturday. Picture: Ian Francis, IF Image Cymru

Club reports – October 19, 2019

Llangefni 26 Bala 7

A rare but very welcome win for Llangefni against what is always a difficult Bala side to beat, reports Eirwyn Vaughan.

Cefni upset the odds at Cae Smyrna with an efficient bonus point victory.

It was 19-0 at the break, and seven points each in the second half. Indeed, Bala’s only points came from a scrum penalty try when the hosts were reduced to seven in the pack after Dion Oliver’s second yellow of the match.

Overall, the hosts’ defensive and offensive game were superior, and their backs conjured up three excellent tries in the first half.

Bala came fastest out of the blocks and gave Cefni a very difficult first 10 minutes. However, the Moniars survived that onslaught without conceding: they defended a few five-metre lineouts and won some crucial turnovers.

When Cefni had the ball, pivot Sior Grieves kicked astutely to pressurise the visitors. His clever chip over the top was not dealt with, and the islanders were able to move the ball right to Ioan Jones near halfway. His well-measured kick ahead gave flying winger Gethin Andrews the chance to win the race for the touchdown after 26 minutes.

his try sparked a fine period of inter-passing which saw Gethin Jones, Andrews and Greg Horsman making telling breaks in midfield.

Bala were under the pump and had a player carded on the 30-minute mark. From a scrum in the Bala 22, Grieves timed his pass to perfection to launch Horsman on a mazy run to the posts. Carwyn Milburn’s extras made it 12-0.

On 35 minutes, Oliver got the first of his yellows, but Cefni did not lose their momentum. When a Grieves’ high kick was dropped by the Bala winger, the home player was able to set up Horsman for his second try as he scythed through the middle on a 30 metre run to the posts. Milburn’s kick made it 19-0 at the break.

Bala started the second half all guns blazing, but again failed to penetrate the home defence.

When Llangefni had to defend a five-metre scrum, the pack responded with a huge shunt, allowing Horsman to clear upfield.

Then when Bala moved possession to their right wing near the home 22, Cefni’s line speed led to a dropped ball, which was gratefully collected by Milburn, who showed the opposition a clean pair of heels on his 70-metre sprint to the line. He converted his try from wide out for a 26-0 scoreline.

The Anglesey hosts played the last 14 minutes with only 14 men, but Bala’s only points came from that penalty try after a series of five-metre scrums.

Although Oliver spent more than 20 minutes in the sin-bin, it must be said his powerful carries were again highly influential in giving Cefni go forward.

Dinbych 10 Bethesda 22

Clinical finishing enabled Bethesda to gain a four-try bonus point victory and leave Dinbych rooted at the foot of the Division One table despite a committed performance.

Pesda had the better of the first quarter but a determined defensive effort by the hosts kept the visitors at bay until midway through the half when the Ogwen side launched an attack from halfway taking play deep into the home 22.

After recycling possession several times No 8 Arwyn Griffiths broke through the middle to cross for a try converted by full-back Gethin Lloyd.

With Dinbych under some pressure in the scrums and with limited possession they still were able to counter attack from deep giving full back Gruff Roberts and wings Huw Mars Jones and Kieran Bonar the opportunity to test the Bethesda defences.

The visitors then increased their lead in first half injury time when they kicked a penalty into the corner to set up a short range line out from which lock Dylan Owen forced his way over for an unconverted try.

Leading 12-0 at the interval Bethesda went further ahead 10 minutes into the second half when Griffiths went over for his second try with a solo effort when he broke on the narrow side down the touchline from a ruck on the Dinbych 22.

Dinbych opened their scoring midway through the half when fly-half Garin Roberts fielded a 22 drop-out and fed full back Gruff Roberts, who sliced through the Pesda defence from near halfway for a fine solo try to which he added the conversion points.

Although still under pressure in the scrums Dinbych were more than holding their own in the lineout with lock Jamie Williams and Sean Baker at No 8 making his debut giving additional options to the ever-reliable Gareth Beach.

Dinbych emptied their bench including Ashley Liversage making his first team debut to give fresh impetus and with 10 minutes remaining Bethesda conceded a penalty at a breakdown just outside the 22 allowing Gruff Roberts to kick the hosts to within a single score.

However, Pesda regained possession from the restart kick to go through several phases of play which Dinbych did well to defend until Dylan Owen went over from short range for his second unconverted try which robbed the home team of a deserved losing bonus point.

Pwllheli 44 Bro Ffestiniog 3

The starting XV’s of both sides were much changed from recent games due to injuries and unavailability but there was still a competitive edge and a lot of exciting rugby played.

After five minutes, Pwllheli centre Deio Brunelli intercepted a pass between attacking Bro players in midfield and outpaced all from his own half to open the scoring with a touchdown.

The home side conceded a penalty at a ruck on 15 minutes which was successfully converted by fly-half Aron Aspen and a few minutes later Pwllheli winger Osian Jones was yellow carded for a high tackle.

Ten minutes from the interval, Bro similarly offended and Nick Butterworth slotted over the three points. The score remained 8-3 to Pwll at the break.

Pwllheli upped their game on resumption and attacked with conviction. It was not long before back rower Alan Roberts broke through the Bro defenders to cross the whitewash and Osian Parry Jones made no mistake with the conversion.

The home team continued dominating the play thereafter and soon tries came from Butterworth (2) and Arwel Thomas before full-back Carwyn ap Myrddin completed the scoring with two further tries before the final whistle. Parry Jones added two conversions to give a score of 44-3 to Pwllheli and second spot in the table with one game in hand.

Results – October 19

WRU Premiership
Llanelli 34 RGC 43

WRU National Plate Round 2
Glynneath 23 Llandudno 17

WRU Division One North
Caernarfon P Nant Conwy P
Dinbych 10 Bethesda 22
Llangefni 26 Bala 7
Pwllheli 44 Bro Ffestiniog 3
Ruthin 24 Dolgellau 5

WRU Division Two North
Abergele 7 Teirw Nant 27
Colwyn Bay 29 Bangor 0
Rhyl 38 Newtown 15
Welshpool 14 Shotton Steel 38
Wrexham P Llanidloes P

WRU Division Three North
Dinbych 2nds 21 Wrexham 2nds 8
Llangefni 2nds P Holyhead P
Mold 12 Flint 7
Pwllheli 2nds P Rhosllanerchrugog P
Ruthin 2nds 19 Machynlleth 8


Friday, October 25

Division One North (7.30 pm)
Bro Ffestiniog v Ruthin

Saturday, October 26

WRU Premiership (5.15 pm)
RGC v Cardiff

Division One North (2.30 pm)
Bala v COBRA, Bethesda v Caernarfon, Dolgellau v Llangefni, Llandudno v Dinbych, Nant Conwy v Pwllheli.
Division Two North (2.30 pm)
Bangor v Wrexham, Mold P Rhyl & District P, Newtown v Abergele, Shotton Steel v Colwyn Bay, Teirw Nant v Welshpool.
Division Three North (2.30 pm)
Holyhead v Pwllheli 2nds, Machynlleth v Mold 2nds, Menai Bridge v Dinbych 2nds, Rhosllanerchrugog v Ruthin 2nds, Wrexham 2nds v Llangefni 2nds.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: