Three wins for Cymru North over Premier sides on a night of surprises in Nathaniel MG Cup

Bangor City players celebrate a famous win over TNS with supporters. Picture: Bangor City FC Twitter page

Bangor City 1 (Rea 52)
The New Saints 1 (Byrne 77)
Nathaniel MG Cup second round
(Bangor won 4-2 on penalties)

Cymru North underdogs Bangor City stunned record nine-time competition winners The New Saints with a 4-2 Nathaniel MG Cup penalty shootout win at the EuroGold Stadium.

Having been on top for long periods, Bangor took the lead shortly after the break through Simone Rea, before Kurtis Byrne pulled Saints level 13 minutes from time.

It went straight to spot-kicks and the Citizens emerged triumphant.

Saints threatened early when Chris Marriott’s cross from the left landed on top of the crossbar, but Bangor produced some nice football and were more than holding their own up to the break.

The visitors continued to impress after the restart and grabbed a deserved lead in the 52nd minute.

A corner from the right was headed in by Rea, who beat Paul Harrison at the near post.

City now played more defensively and looked to strike on the break. TNS pushed hard to level it, but the hosts defended well.

The Cymru Premier champions were knocking on the door, though, and on 77 minutes a flick from Greg Draper freed Byrne to fire in the equaliser.

Six minutes from time Scott Ruscoe’s side almost won it, a Byrne header forcing a superb save from Gabriele Brino.

Having lost on penalties to Stenhousemuir in the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Cup a couple of weeks ago, the spot-kicks jinx continued for the full-timers.

Both Draper and Marriott missed, with Bangor seeing four successfully find the back of the net, meaning it was they who advanced to round three to visit Bala Town on October 8.

Shoot-Out sequence
TNS – Draper (saved)
Bangor – Sammartino (scored)
TNS – Harrison (scored)
Bangor – Serafino (scored)
TNS – Cieslewicz (scored)
Bangor – Gozzerini (scored)
TNS – Marriott (missed)
Bangor – Surber (scored)

Caernarfon Town 1 (Bradley 47)
Prestatyn Town 4 (Kenny 12 & 80, Davies 22 & 64)
Nathaniel MG Cup third round

Kai Edwards (red) on the ball for Prestatyn at Caernarfon. Picture: John Pickles

Prestatyn’s stunning start to the season continued as they thrashed Cymru Premier side Caernarfon at The Oval to advance in the Nathaniel MG Cup.

The Seasiders took a 12th minute lead when the Canaries keeper Osian Goulding missed a Zebb Edwards cross, allowing Jack Kenny to pounce and score.

It was 2-0 on 22 minutes when Kenny floated the ball into the path of Jordan Davies, who produced a fine finish.

Caernarfon’s task got tougher on the half-hour when Jamie Crowther was sent off for a second yellow.

Despite being a man down, the hosts gave themselves hope soon after the restart with a Sion Bradley goal.

However, the visitors were truly back in the ascendancy when Davies notched his second on 64 minutes.

Kenny sealed it with goal number four in the 80th minute after great work from James Stead.

Prestatyn had Ross Weaver sent off late on, but it did not take the gloss off a tremendous win.

To complete a miserable night for the Cofis, they finished with nine as defender Mike Pearson had to leave the field injured and all three substitutes had been used.

Flint Town United 2 (Brown 9, Foulkes 55 pen)
Airbus UK 1 (Lanceley 76)
Nathaniel MG Cup third round

Flint ensured it was three wins out of three for Cymru North over Premier opposition in the Nathaniel MG Cup as they knocked out derby rivals Airbus at the Essity Stadium.

Nathan Brown’s ninth-minute strike was enough to separate the sides at half time.

Ten minutes into the second period, Richie Foulkes converted a penalty for Flint, and although Oli Lanceley replied for the Wingmakers on 76 minutes, the Silkmen advanced.

Nathaniel MG Cup – results Tuesday, September 24

Second round
Bangor City 1 The New Saints 1 (aet – Bangor won 4-2 on pens)
Third round
Briton Ferry Llansawel 0 Carmarthen Town 2
Caernarfon Town 1 Prestatyn Town 4
Cardiff Met 0 Aberystwyth Town 1
Flint Town United 2 Airbus UK Broughton 1
Newtown 2 Penybont 1
STM Sports P Haverfordwest County P (now October 1)
Still to play – third round
Guilsfield v Connah’s Quay Nomads (Sep 25)
Bala Town v Bangor City (October 8)

Earlier stages

Round two north
Airbus UK Broughton 4 (Gethin Stephens OG, Steve Tomassen, Matthew Sargeant, Alex Darlington) Llanfair United 0
Bala Town 7 (Louis Robles 3, Steven Leslie, Chris Venables, Lee Molyneux, Henry Jones pen) Gresford Athletic 0
Cefn Druids 1 (Ryan Kershaw) Prestatyn Town 2 (Ian Griffiths, Rob Hughes)
Bangor City 1 (Simone Rea) The New Saints 1 (Kurtis Byrne) – Bangor won 4-2 on pens
Corwen 0 Caernarfon Town 2 (Gareth Evans, Noah Edwards)
Flint Town United 5 (Alex Titchiner 2, Nathan Brown, Andy Brown, Mark Cadwallader) Porthmadog 1 (Sion Parry)
Guilsfield 1 (Adam Jenkins) Llandudno 0
Rhyl 0 Connah’s Quay Nomads 2 (Nathan Woolfe, Ryan Wignall)

Round one north
Berriew 0 Corwen 2 (Tom Williams, Sam Henry)
Buckley Town 0 Rhyl 2 (Danny Sullivan, Tom Creamer)
Conwy Borough 0 Bangor City 1 (Eugenio Dalia)
Gresford Athletic 1 (Jordan MacCarter) Colwyn Bay 0
Llanfair United 3 (Karl Seliaerts, Josh Astley, Ashley Davies) Llangefni Town 1 (Craig Roberts)
Prestatyn Town 4 (Ian Griffiths, Rob Hughes, Michael Parker, Kyham Wyton own goal) Llanrhaeadr 2 (Mattie Jones 2, 1 pen)
Guilsfield 3 (Jake Cooke, Stuart Rogers, Jack Richards) Ruthin Town 0

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: