Cymru Premier: Dramatic winner sends Canaries fans wild at The Oval

Darren Thomas takes on the Penybont defence. Photo copyright of Paul Evans –   

Caernarfon Town 3 (Smith 2, Breese 18, Crowther 90)
Penybont 2 (Wood 15, Jemmett-Hutson 45)

Jamie Crowther’s instinctive added time finish clinched a first home victory of the season for Caernarfon in front of a delighted crowd of 502 at The Oval, reports Paul Evans.

Town started the match well, Leo Smith thundering the ball into the roof of the net after getting on the end of an excellent Shaun Cavanagh pass in the third minute.

The visitors did well to regroup after the early setback and Nathaniel Wood levelled in the 15th minute with a fine strike after creating space for himself in the penalty area.

Penybont’s elation at equalising quickly disappeared when Jamie Breese impressively restored Caernarfon’s lead three minutes later when he leaped above the defence at the far post to put the finishing touch to a Nathan Craig delivery.

The away team’s back-line did better for the remainder of the first half as they gave the Cofis little opportunity to extend their lead, the closest they got being when Craig forced keeper Rhys Wilson into a smart stop on the half-hour.

With Caernarfon pressing forward, they looked susceptible to the break and Alex Ramsay pulled off an impressive reflex save to keep out a Curtis Jemmett-Hutson effort.

Town’s number one had little chance, however, with the same players’ next attempt, which saw Penybont level for a second time with virtually the last kick of the half.

Caernarfon were better in the second period and a move to a back three early after the restart proved a positive move.

The introduction of Sam Jones and Sion Bradley gave them more width and options going forward and the latter, in particular, made an immediate impact with his trademark jinking runs down the left flank.

As the match entered its’ final quarter and with Caernarfon camped on the edge of Penybont’s area, it seemed just a matter of time until they would find the winner, but the visitors defended well.

Ramsay ensured the Canaries entered the final stages still on level terms as he thwarted Jemmett-Hutson again and, from this moment onwards, Caernarfon did all the attacking.

Wilson pulled off a superb save to tip over a Smith piledriver whilst his defence somehow managed to scramble away a corner after it seemed the whole Caernarfon side was trying to get on the end of a Darren Thomas cross into the six-yard area.

The winner finally arrived with 90 minutes on the referee’s watch.

Following a foul on Thomas on the edge of the box, Craig’s well struck free-kick was destined for the top corner until Wilson tipped the ball onto the woodwork and, much to the delight of The Oval faithful, it was Crowther who reacted first as he volleyed first time into an empty net.

Caernarfon: Alex Ramsay, Gruff John Williams, Nathan Craig, Ryan Williams, Gareth Edwards, Jamie Crowther, Noah Edwards, Leo Smith, Jamie Breese, Darren Thomas, Shaun Cavanagh.
Subs (used): Sion Bradley, Sam Jones, Cai Jones. Not used: Joe Williams, Danny Brookwell.

Other Cymru Premier results

Airbus UK Broughton 0 Barry Town United 1 (Kayne McLaggon 10)

Cefn Druids 3 (Ramirez Howarth 14, 59, 62) Carmarthen Town 3 (Liam Thomas 15 pen, Luke Bowen 17, 76)

Connah’s Quay Nomads 4 (Callum Morris 15 pen, Ryan Wignall 25, Michael Bakare 46, Declan Poole 85) Aberystwyth Town 1 (Joe Phillips 87)

Newtown 1 (George Harry 84) Bala Town 0

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: