Tuesday football – thrilling cup wins for Bangor 1876 and Cemaes Bay



CPD Pwllheli 4 Bangor 1876 6
(after extra time)

Not often in their short existence have Bangor 1876 had to fight back to win from a losing position but that was certainly the case at Pwllheli on Tuesday night.

The fan-owned club trailed 2-0, 3-1 and 4-3 at Recreation Road, only to force extra time and then come out on top in a 10-goal thriller to set up a semi-final meeting with Bodedern Athletic.

Pwllheli had lost three times already to 1876 this term, including a 9-0 drubbing in the Premier Cup 11 days earlier, but there was no fear in the way the Llŷn Peninsula side approached this NWCFA Intermediate Cup tie.

Iwan Roberts-Jones edged the hosts in front on six minutes and Steffan Toplis doubled the lead after 28.

Jamie Petrie pulled a goal back for the visitors before the break, but come the turnaround Pwll were 2-1 ahead.

When Dylan Roberts made it 3-1 on 55 minutes, an upset looked a distinct possibility but Dylan Williams hit back for Bangor just before the hour.

It was all-square in the 69th minute when a Jamie McDonnell own goal made it three-apiece.

Pwllheli would not be discouraged and on 80 minutes Toplis’ second put them 4-3 to the good.

Was that the final nail for 1876? Not at all, as in the 93rd minute a Corey Jones overhead kick made it 4-4 and forced extra time.

The visitors emerged victorious in the added half-hour, Joe Culshaw scoring from a free kick before Petrie completed the scoring in the 110th minute.

It was tough on Pwllheli, who had McDonnell sent off for a second yellow on 111.

The semi-final will see 1876 and Bodedern battle it out for the right to take on CPD Y Rhyl 1879 in the showpiece at Nantlle Vale on Tuesday, May 31.


Llanfairpwll 2 Cemaes Bay 3

Rhys Lloyd grabbed the winning goal deep in extra time to send Cemaes Bay into the Junior Cup final and a meeting with Talysarn Celts.

Tuesday’s semi was a replay, the first game having finished 7-0 to Cemaes, who were then expelled from the competition for allegedly fielding an ineligible player.

Bay appealed to the FAW and it was decided the last four clash should be played again.

The second installment was much closer than the first.

A fourth minute Dafydd Evans own goal put Cemaes in front before Ieuan Grenier levelled after nine.

Jac Jones nudged Llanfair ahead on 52 minutes, only for Mathew Roberts to square things up again after 58.

No further goals so extra time was required and Lloyd notched the decider for Cemaes in the 119th minute.


Llay Welfare Reserves 2 (Matty Worrall 18, Alex Owen 48) Brickfield Rangers Reserves 4 (Kian Davies 9 pen, 40 & 77, Jack Honey 54)


St Asaph City Reserves 3 (Jack Davies 8 & 48, Liam Grayson 69) Porthmadog Reserves 1 (Leon Williams 90+4)

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: