North Wales Coast East – great wins for Prestatyn Sports and Rhyl 1879, Cerrig go nap

Competitive action from Y Morfa as Rhyl 1879 midfielder Dan Sim (red) aims to win the ball. Referee Michael Gray is in the perfect position to keep an eye on proceedings. Picture: BARRY GRIFFITHS




Penmaenmawr Phoenix 1 Prestatyn Sports 2

Ten-man Sports produced an heroic effort to become the first team to win in the league at Penmaenmawr since the opening day of the season.

Last July, CPD Y Rhyl 1879 triumphed 3-2 at Cae Sling on matchday one, but the subsequent 10 home games for Phoenix had seen them produce nine victories and a draw.

So it was going to take a fine outfit to beat them again at their own fortress – that team was Premier Division leaders Prestatyn Sports.

John Hargreaves and Sion Williams’ side completed a league double over Pen, having beaten them 2-0 at The Meadows last August.

However, Phoenix did knock Sports out of the NWCFA Intermediate Cup 5-3 in extra time on the same Prestatyn pitch in December.

So, a great battle was in store on Saturday between two teams which know each other well.

Depleted Sports had just 11 registered first team players available and a bench filled with the management – who do not play as regularly as they once did.

Nonetheless, the visitors started very well and took the game to Phoenix in the first quarter-hour.

They scored in the 13th minute when home keeper Jonathan Sweetser-Hawkes spilled a lofted ball into the box and Kris Owen pounced to score from close range.

In the 20th minute Pen equalised through a Tom Prince free kick which keeper Luke Wilmot could not quite keep out.

Sports went down to 10 after 29 minutes when player-manager Hargreaves was shown a red card.

It remained 1-1 up to half time and on the hour the away side won a free kick on the edge of the Phoenix box.

Up stepped Paul Brady to strike an absolute beauty into the top corner.

Sports rode their luck in the last 20 minutes as Pen attacked relentlessly. Wilmot pulled off one amazing save, while Tom Kemp headed a goalbound effort onto the crossbar.

Rhuddlan Town 5 Llandudno Junction 2

Ever-improving Rhuddlan have now lost just once in five matches following Saturday’s impressive win over Junction.

Ian Davenport handed the hosts a 14th minute lead and soon a George Roberts own goal enforced by a great cross made it 2-0.

Jack Williams halved the deficit on 28 minutes, but only three good saves from Stephen O’Neill denied Rhuddlan a bigger lead than 2-1 at the break.

A good finish from Matty Rees three minutes into the second half sent Town back on their way along the victory road.

Jordan Bellham’s fine individual effort made it 4-1, and although Rob Gore pulled one back on 79, Ryan Potts killed the game off by making it 5-2.

Glan Conwy 1 Meliden 4

Match report by Ron Squire

After three straight home league defeats Meliden enjoyed better fortune on their travels.

The visitors took the lead on the 10th minute when Luke Astley’s looping effort slipped through the fingers of keeper Tom Paddock and into the net.

Not even a minute had elapsed when James Cairns put through Matty Griffiths, whose curling effort past Paddock found the bottom right corner.

Then on 19 minutes, a cross from Joe Roberts caught Paddock off guard again and flew straight in for 3-0.

Glan’s form improved after the break and a Jonathan Terry own goal on 63 minutes gave them hope.

But Meliden remained solid and on 83 minutes Roberts scored his second after being set up by Cairns.

Bro Cernyw 0 Llansannan 3

In front of what was estimated a record crowd at the primary school pitch, Llansannan took the honours at the expense of next-to-bottom Cernyw.

Gruff Roberts broke through the defence to opening the scoring on seven minutes.

The lead was not added to until the 73rd minute when veteran winger Geraint Jones provided a great cross for Roberts’ second goal.

A defensive error by Bro allowed Sannan substitute Lewis Jones to make it three.

It was a very entertaining game with Llansannan’s superior ability to hit the target decisive.

While Cernyw are in relegation danger, they are building for a better future having secured grants for ground improvements.

The club has spent £3,500 already to install barriers with future projects including a new container or shed, replacement goal posts and a pitch mower.

Kinmel Bay 0 CPD Y Rhyl 1879 7

Kinmel Bay keeper Ryan Fox is tested. Picture: BARRY GRIFFITHS

Whoever christened this fixture the “Blue Bridge Derby” deserves a medal.

Someone must have done it at some point, and it wasn’t me!

The teams have not been playing one another for long. Anyhow, I think it’s fantastic – a wordsmith after my own heart.

Saturday’s Tier 4 battle at Y Morfa Leisure Centre pitch saw Rhyl maintain their unbeaten league record with a ruthless display of finishing, but Kinmel Bay also must be commended for putting in a great effort.

1879 took just 15 minutes to break the deadlock when bustling forward Kieran Ellis found the net following a Mike Walsh free kick which home keeper Ryan Fox struggled to hold onto.

Ellis struck the crossbar with a looping header before on 27 minutes former Kinmel Bay midfielder Jordan Worthington rose above the home defence to score with a towering header.

The dynamic Ellis completed a hat-trick before the break, his third goal a ferocious strike into the bottom left corner against his ex-club.

It was an eventful half time period as Bay’s Barry Roche was shown a second yellow card on the way to the changing rooms, leaving the hosts to battle through the second half with 10 men and 4-0 down.

Carl Lamb struck the post with a penalty just before the hour, but just five minutes he made it 5-0 with his 31st goal of the season.

Talented youngster Leon Atkins added the sixth following some great work by substitute Frankie Davies on the right-hand side delivering an excellent cross.

Recent new signing Danny Edwards made it seven on his debut, firing home with a lovely free kick into the bottom left corner.

Llanfairfechan Town 2 Llannefydd 6

It is now 14 unbeaten in the league for Llannefydd after they hit the bottom side for six.

Jared Jones and Luke Appleby scored two apiece, while man of the match Llion Morris and Nico Clwyd were also on the mark.

Chris Smyth and Elliot Croston found the net for Llanfair.



CPD Caer Clwyd 3 CPD Henllan 3

Tremendous aerial action from Caer Clwyd versus Henllan (green and white stripes). PICTURE: ROB PICKERING

What a thriller it proved to be at Myddleton College as Caer Clwyd and Henllan shared the spoils.

Both of these sides have produced some great performances this season and their moderate league positions may be a little deceptive.

Clwyd looked to be in command when a Joel Rowlands goal on 20 minutes was followed by another from Craig Lavery after 22.

When Elis Davies made it 3-0 on 36 minutes the points looked to be well on their way to the home side.

Caer Clwyd keeper John Wood is on alert to clear the danger from Josh Griffiths. Picture: ROB PICKERING

However, Henllan are good battlers and before half time they had cut the arrears to 3-2, goals coming from Ashley Andrews and Alex Thomas – game on.

In the 63rd minute the comeback was complete as Steffan Jones made it three-apiece.

There was to be no winner, although Clwyd received a setback 10 minutes from time when Jason Hession was sent off for a second yellow card.

Llysfaen 0 Cerrigydrudion 5

An off-day for Llysfaen saw Cerrig romp to a 5-0 victory which moved them into second spot in the table behind champions Abergele.

Tirion Griffiths (2, 1 pen), Gruffudd Edwards, Tomos Tryfan Jones and Robert Parry shared the away goals.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: