North Wales Coast East League – Y Glannau hit back from 3-0 down with 10 men to win thriller

Joey Fontana struck twice for Y Glannau in an amazing game. Photo: MATT JOHNSON


Table up to and including February 12. Source:


Rhyl Dragons 3 (Bouch 22, Williams pen 26, Griffiths 44)
Y Glannau 4 (J Fontana 61 & 66 pen; O’Malley 65 & 84)

This surely ranks as one of the games of the season in North Wales football at any level.

Y Glannau were 3-0 behind at half time and down to 10 men after top striker Harrison Bellis was sent off, yet recovered to score four goals in 23 minutes after the break to record a phenomenal victory.

Bellis, who has 36 goals in all competitions this season, and 13 in nine appearances for Y Glannau – who he joined last October – before Saturday, hit a sweet strike against the bar early on.

Great work from Chris McQuillen down the right then led to a chance for Aaron Dodwell, who headed over.

Against the run of play, Dragons took a 22nd minute lead. The visitors’ defence failed to deal with a corner and James Bouch, who had only come on as a substitute four minutes earlier, made it 1-0.

Y Glannau goal machine Harrison Bellis received his marching orders. Picture: MATT JOHNSON

Then came a major incident on 25 minutes. Bellis broke down the right and was clattered by what appeared a two-footed challenge, but only a throw-in was given.

Bellis protested against the decision too much and received a yellow, then a red card. Heads were going among the visiting team and Dodwell went into the book.

Feeling a strong sense of injustice, Y Glannau were further incensed soon after when a penalty was awarded against them. The referee opined he had seen a push in the box from a corner and Daniel Williams converted for 2-0.

Rhyl Dragons’ Darren Bannister with his new goalkeeper top sponsored by Paul Maxwell of PM plastering contractors, who is also Dragons assistant-manager. They are pictured with Dragons manager Steve Taylor

Y Glannau coach Gareth Hughes was then ordered from the dugout after being shown two yellow cards.

When Nathan Griffiths added a third just before half time via a superb top-corner finish following a break, the game looked as good as over for YG, who were now three behind and a player short.

The advice from the Glannau management to the players at half time was to use their anger and frustration in a positive manner in the second period – and how they responded.

Rhyl Dragons club captain Dale Lewis with the team’s new away shirt sponsored by Jay Jones from Jones landscaping and groundworks. Dale is pictured with Dragons manager Steve Taylor and assistant Paul Maxwell. All want to thank Jay Jones and wish him all the best. You can find Jones landscaping and groundwork and PM plastering contractors on Facebook

A key turning point saw Josh MacGillivray brought on for Dodwell on the hour.

A minute later, MacGillivray lashed the ball across the box and there was captain fantastic Joey Fontana to smash home.

It became 3-2 in the 65th minute, MacGillivray with the long throw and Ged O’Malley nodded home.

MacGillivray instantly went close to an equaliser, but Darren Bannister saved well.

Moments later. Glannau earned a penalty after MacGillivray got brought down in the area. Up stepped Joey Fontana to make it 3-3.

The Glannau bench went wild. This game was taking on a remarkable similarity to a famous final in Istanbul back in 2005!

O’Malley rattled the bar before the winner arrived in the 84th minute.

Fontana’s ball to the back post was headed in by O’Malley – cue the mad Glannau celebrations!

Rhyl Dragons: Darren Bannister, Mason Kenny, Shaun Walsh, Jake Hughes (Adam Cassidy 70), Nathan Griffiths (Harry Sweetman 76), Colin Sargerson (Dean Hughes 82), Chris Marsden (Michael Webster 68), Kelvin Berks, Danny Williams, Jack Gibbon (James Bouch 18), Dale Lewis.

Y Glannau: Bradley Wright, Zak Hughes (Ryan Thomas-Clark 75), Adam Hampson, Thomas Jones, Kyle Hedge, Ged O’Malley (Owen Boardman 86), Chris McQuillen, Jake Reddaway, Harrison Bellis, Joey Fontana, Aaron Dodwell (Josh McGillivray 60).

Llanelwy Athletic 3 NFA 0

Steve Kirk (2) and Mike Chapman split the goals as third-place Llanelwy returned to winning ways.

Cerrigydrudion 1 Llysfaen 1

Cerrig missed a chance to go level on points with leaders Llandudno Amateurs when they were held by a revitalised Llysfaen.

Nathan Russell handed the visitors an 18th minute lead which they held until quarter of an hour from the end, when Nidian Jones equalised.

Rhos United 2 Penrhyn Bay Dragons 2

All square at Brookfield Drive, where Tomos Bradfield’s 26th minute strike gave Dragons an interval lead.

Lewis Sealey levelled on 58, Jamie Grimshaw put Penrhyn back in front after 70, but Calfyn McQuilling made it two-apiece on 74.


Table up to and including February 12. Source:

CPD Y Rhyl 1879 6 Llanfairfechan Town 0

Gareth Thomas’ 1879 side maintained their undefeated league record in 2021-22 in some style with a six-goal thrashing of Llanfairfechan.

The hosts, now unbeaten in 14 matches, got off to a flyer with a first-minute goal which by the same token represented a nightmare start for the bottom team.

Leon Atkins curled a right-footed effort into the box only for visiting goalkeeper William Jones to palm the ball into his own net.

After that setback, Llanfair found their composure and made the game difficult for the home side.

Thirty minutes were played before it became 2-0. Following some great work from Atkins on the left, the number 11 slotted through for wing-back Casey Faulkner to neatly strike home.

Midway through the second half, captain Reece Fairhurst travelled with the ball from his own box, through the Llanfairfechan midfield and unleashed a 25-yard beauty to make it 3-0.

In the 80th minute Jordan Worthington added a fourth.

Five minutes from time, an excellent delivery from Fairhurst found Kieran Ellis, whose delightful first touch in the box gave him the opportunity to swivel and fire in number five.

Just one minute later substitute Eamon Buhalfaia made it a half-dozen.

Glan Conwy 4 Llandyrnog United 3

New signing Conor Davies and Jordan Phillips bagged a brace apiece to ensure Glan edged a seven-goal thriller.

David Lawson Cooke, Ross Gilbert and Luke Humphreys hit back for Llandyrnog, who trailed 4-1 at the interval.

Adam Jones was dismissed for the hosts on 79 minutes.

Kinmel Bay 1 Penmaenmawr Phoenix 5

Kinmel Bay (blue) take on Penmaenmawr. Picture: BARRY GRIFFITHS

Mason Richards handed a Kinmel Bay side still gelling together an early lead, but that was as good as things got for the hosts.

Stevie Jones and Alfie Caldecott replied to give Phoenix a narrow advantage at half time.

In the second half, substitute and new arrival Benn Lundstram struck twice for the visitors, while Caldecott completed a pair.

Kinmel’s Jordan Frazer was sent off on 55 minutes with the score at 3-1.

Mochdre Sports 4 Rhuddlan Town 2

Finlay Jones, Kai Davies (penalty), Robert Tudor and Christopher Lloyd notched a goal apiece as Mochdre held on to third spot.

Matty Rees and Jordan Bellham responded for the away team.

Meliden 1 Llandudno Junction 1

James Cairns salvaged a point for Meliden with an 82nd minute equaliser at The Mine.

Dan Beattie saw his 16th minute penalty for the hosts saved by Luke Russell before Harry Parkes-Smith edged Junction in front on 41 with a smart chip.

The home side looked increasingly frustrated as the second half went by, but never gave up attacking which included a bunch of attempts at goal such as Beattie’s from close range that was saved by the on-form Russell.

And Meliden would get their equaliser as Luke Astley capitalised on a brilliant build-up play from the left and crossed in for Cairns to head in at the near post into the bottom left corner.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: