Cymru North reports – stunning win for Holywell ends Guilsfield’s unbeaten record

Tom Bibby (red) opens the scoring for Holywell. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS


Holywell Town 3 (Bibby 40, Wiltshire 70, Forbes 74)
Guilsfield 0

The only slight drawback to Holywell’s tremendous weekend win over Guilsfield is they have to face the same opposition away this coming Saturday.

Johnny Haseldin’s side ended Guils’ season-long 17-match unbeaten run in the Cymru North on Saturday with a superb display at Halkyn Road.

That stretched the Wellmen’s own undefeated streak to eight matches.

Next up is a trip to Powys made more tough by the fact Guilsfield will be out for revenge on the back of what happened seven days earlier.

But in the form they are showing right now, Holywell will fear no-one.

Keighan Jones made a stunning save for Holywell. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS

With the wind behind them in the first half of Saturday’s clash, the hosts threatened early when Dave Hayes’ header was cleared off the line for a corner.

From the resulting flag-kick, Zebb Edwards nodded into the net, but the assistant’s flag was up and it was ruled offside.

Against the run of play, Guilsfield very nearly broke the deadlock just after the half-hour. A cross by Morgan Daykin came back out off Keighan Jones left-hand post and was cleared to safety.

Town then went close, a great run down the left by Tom Bibby saw his low cross find Dave Forbes, whose effort flashed inches wide of the post.

WIth five minutes left of the first half, the Wellmen took the lead. A fine delivery to the far post found Bibby, whose header was partly saved, but the ball had crossed the line and the goal stood.

Chances were few and far between after the restart and with an hour played, Guilsfield were reduced to 10 men as Andrew Ford saw red for a bad challenge on Jake Cooke.

And in the 70th minute, the hosts took a big step towards the three points, Luke Wiltshire heading in from a corner to give Holywell a two-nil lead.

Four minutes later, a great run by Dylan Allshorn saw his shot beat the keeper but hit the post. roll across the face of the goal and Forbes was on hand to tap the ball home.

Magnificent from the Wellmen!

Gresford Athletic 0
Holyhead Hotspur 0

Dean Garmey (Stripes – orange armband) leads the battle to win possession for Hotspur. Picture: ALUN ROBERTS/FAW

Playing their first game in six weeks, Hotspur earned a good point at Clappers Lane.

Holyhead manager Darren Garmey was happy with the final outcome.

He said: “It was good to be back to league action after six weeks off. Our last game was a hard-fought draw against Guilsfield and today was very much the same type of contest.

“We defended brilliantly, restricting them in the final third with their only real chance coming in the last action of the game. We had a couple of big chances ourselves but we will not be spending too much time rueing them as the overall performance was outstanding.”

Hotspur’s man of the match Dylan Summers Jones was denied by keeper Robbie Williams from a one-on-one in the first half and Liam Morris had a chance to win it in injury time but was foiled by the Gresford glovesman.

Melvin McGinness also had a header cleared off the line by Jack Jones

For Athletic, new signing Jack Robinson managed to get the ball in the back of the net, but it was ruled out for offside.

Colwyn Bay 0
Llangefni Town 0

An outstanding performance by next-to-bottom Llangefni to pick up a point in front of 680 at Llanelian Road.

Main hero for the visitors was goalkeeper Steve Sinclair, who made a string of saves, including stand-out stops from Sam Jones and James Kirby.

The Bay dominated the first half but struggled to create too many clear cut chances against a determined and hard-working Llangefni defence.

Lewis Sirrell and Sam Jones (twice) both had efforts saved.

It was 48 minutes before Llangefni had their first shot at goal, Andy Coughlin saving Josh Williams’ strike.

Sam Jones forced a good save from Sinclair before the keeper denied Jones again when he was through on goal.

Another top save foiled Kirby, but Bay were unlucky to hit the bar with a late header.

Buckley Town 2 (Burgess 44, Moore 90+1)
Llanidloes Town 1 (Worton 18)

That’s the way to mark your debut – with a last-gasp winner. Max Moore (smiling face in middle of huddle) celebrates Buckley’s decider. Picture: TREVOR JONES/BTFC

New signing Max Moore made it a dream debut when he plundered an added time winner for Buckley at The Globe.

Former Connah’s Quay Nomads striker Moore joined Bucks from Llandudno in midweek and did not take long to make his mark.

Adam Worton handed the visitors an 18th minute lead, but Dan Burgess levelled just before half time.

Prestatyn Town 0
Penrhyncoch 1 (Burrell 84)

A dominant Roosters display was rewarded with an 84th minute winner from Ifan Burrell.

Prestatyn fielded more new signings and were full of belief and optimism before the game, but it was not to be for the Seasiders.

Town missed a golden chance in the first half, but otherwise the visitors were more threatening in front of goal, home keeper Callum Roberts producing some solid saves.


Airbus UK Broughton 3 Conwy Borough 1
Ruthin Town 0 Llandudno 1

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: