Women’s football – Rhyl 1879 hit back from 3-1 down to win, Wrexham topple Quay in match of the day

Trearddur Bay’s goal comes under pressure against Amlwch (all blue). Picture: WYNNE EVANS


Bangor 1876 3 CPD Y Rhyl 1879 5

Leaders Rhyl 1879 battled back from 3-1 down to win an eight-goal cracker at Plas Ffrancon, Bethesda and remain at the North Wales Women’s League peak.

Early in the season, Bangor 1876 had crashed 8-1 at Belle Vue, but this was a different game altogether with the hosts always in the contest.

Despite being without three key strikers they started the campaign with, 1876 have adapted well and continue to pose a goal threat in many areas of the squad.

However, Rhyl are absolutely brimming with goals, having already netted 62 in 10 league games comprising eight wins and two draws.

Bangor started Sunday’s coast derby well and took a 15th minute lead through Awel Ellis.

Niomi Taylor equalised on 21, but Ellis soon made it 2-1 to the hosts.

Bangor were in a really good position when Lisa Thomas netted their third on 37 minutes, but vitally the visitors kept in touch when Tegan Crockett replied just before the break.

The second half saw 1879 up their game considerably and on 52 minutes Rebecca Bannister made it three-apiece.

It was end-to-end now but the away team edged in front for the first time after 74 minutes through Laura Williams.

And two minutes later, Emily Bentley made it 5-3.

That was the end of the scoring, but both sides could feel proud of their efforts in a superb contest.

Holywell 0 NFA 13

Amy Webster led the way with a hat-trick as NFA piled up their record league win at Carmel Cricket Club.

Emily Jones got the show on the road with her 15th goal of the season in just the second minute before a Webster double and Sade Benjamin single made it 4-0 at half time.

After the break it rained goals for the visitors, who have now won eight on the bounce.

Webster made it a treble with her 11th goal of the season, then Benjamin completed a double with a 14th of the campaign.

It became a free-for-all, with Stella Windsor, Megan Pursell, Ashleigh Mills, skipper Rachel Lloyd and Jess Mills pushing it up to 11-0.

Skipper Lloyd bagged her second before Molly Brown rounded off the scoring.

Llangefni Town 3 Llanystumdwy 1

Jen Cox (blue) struck twice to win the game for Llangefni. Picture: DAI SINCLAIR

After four games without a win Llangefni returned to the victory path at Cae Bob Parry.

The Anglesey side fell behind to Shona O’Brien’s 11th minute strike, but home skipper Nia Ginnelly levelled on 39.

Substitute Jen Cox took the field on 57 minutes and her effect was to be dramatic.

The striker scored twice in three minutes to move up to seven goals for the season and secure three points for the jubilant islanders.

Trearddur Bay 1 Amlwch Town 2

Given the fact Amlwch are near the top and Trearddur sit at the basement, a comfortable away win looked the safest bet at Lon Isallt.

However, that was not how things worked out.

Cerys Gadd put Amlwch ahead with a penalty on the half-hour and it was not until five minutes into the second half that Shannon Thomas added a second.

Bay had not given up by any means and reduced the arrears through Chloe Taylor on 66 minutes.

And 2-1 was how it ended.

Welshpool Town 2 Northop Hall 2

It finished up all-square at Maesydre where the Hall had to fight back from two-down to get a draw.

Amy Aldwinckle and Lauren Richards scored after 24 and 34 minutes respectively to hand the hosts a 2-0 half time lead.

Hall rallied in the second half, Eleanor Thomas pulling a goal back after 53 minutes before Emily Hughes equalised on 58.


Bethel 2 Llandudno 3

Jasmin Dutton (on ball) and Stacey Tradewell (on ground – stripes) shared Llandudno’s goals in a great win at Bethel. Picture: IAN FRANCIS

Midfielder Stacey Tradewell delivered a second-half double which clinched Llandudno all three points at the San Seilo.

Tudno nudged up to second, two points behind leaders Wrexham with a game in hand, with a hard-fought triumph over fellow high-flyers Bethel.

Shannon Jade Jones scored first for the hosts on five minutes and it stayed 1-0 up to the interval.

Tudno upped their game after the restart and on 52 minutes Tradewell won a penalty which Jasmin Dutton coolly slotted home.

Two minutes later, Ffion Owen fed a decent pass to Tradewell, who worked the ball from her right foot to left and lashed in a beauty.

Bethel would not lie down, though, and Shannon Jones hit her second to make it two-apiece with 57 minutes gone.

It could have gone either way from thIS point, but on 86 minutes Dutton worked the ball well down the left, played it inside to Tradewell and she scored another pearler from the edge of the box to clinch the victory.
Llandudno manager Sarah Colville said: “I would like to say all my players gave it 110% throughout the whole 90 minutes. They were all women of the match, but the player that stood out for us for Bethel to give player of the match was Ffion Owen. I’m one happy manager.”

Llanfair United 3 Airbus 0

After a slow start to the season Llanfair are steadily climbing up the table.

Today the Powys girls saw off Airbus 3-0, Gemma Jones (2, 1 pen) and Tonicha Lloyd sharing the goals.

CPD Pwllheli 2 Denbigh Town 0

Katie Bowe rounded off a hard-fought Pwllheli victory with a trademark free-kick goal in the 90th minute.

Bowe also had a hand in the opener on 66 minutes when her shot came back off keeper Netty Jones and Magi Hughes scored from the rebound.

Bottom side Denbigh, whose losses have become far less severe on occasion lately, continue to make good progress, holding their strong opponents to 0-0 at half time.

Wrexham 3 Connah’s Quay 2

In the match of the day, Wrexham went top of the table after edging a 3-2 triumph over previous leaders Connah’s Quay.

Amber Bailey gave the Deesiders a ninth-minute lead, but Rosie Hughes made it 1-1 on 20 with her 33rd goal in all competitions this season.

And just before half time, new signing Sophie Hodson put the Reds 2-1 up.

Quay’s Niamh Grimshaw was sent off for a second yellow on 55, then on the hour Amber Lightfoot put Steve Dale’s side 3-1 ahead.

Francesca Scott reduced the arrears with a 65th minute reply, but the hosts held on for a seventh straight league win.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: