Rhyl and District Sunday League reports – Mally, Bells and Comrades win in cup, Alex stun Bow

Macca Lewis netted four times for Six Bells in a 5-2 victory over Royal Oak. Picture: MATT JOHNSON



FC Mally 4
Millbank 2

Mally fought back from a goal down to claim their second cup victory over Millbank this season.

Today’s latest success advanced Andy Colville’s side to the Lee Jones Cup semi-finals.

On a tough, muddy Maes Derw pitch, both teams struggled to get going.

Millbank enjoyed the better of the opening 20 minutes, forcing home keeper Nic Bould into several saves before they took the lead midway through the half with a cracking Jack Davies free kick.

Bould made two more brilliant stops before Mally started to get into the tie.

Mally keeper Nic Bould played a blinder

With it looking likely to remain 1-0 at half time, the Junction men put together a brilliant move to set Lee Ellis through before he was brought down for a penalty.

Ellis sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot to make it 1-1 half time.

Both sides knew the next goal would be crucial with the pitch becoming increasingly treacherous to play football on.

Mally started the second half on top and it was returning skipper Shaheen “Twinny” Ahmed who marked his return with a vital goal.

Ellis’ wonder strike from 25 yards made it 3-1 on the hour mark to give Mally breathing space.

And when Benn Lundstram raced through before finishing brilliantly from a tight angle for his 14th goal of the season the game looked over.

Millbank’s keeper produced some superb saves to prevent any further damage and credit to the Rhyl side, they forced a second goal through Jared Jones with 15 minutes remaining to set up a tense finish.

But Mally saw out the game to book themselves another semi-final.

Returning skipper Twinny was awarded man of the match but every single Mally player played their part in a hard-fought win.

FC Mally manager Andy Colville was delighted with the result, achieved despite some key individuals missing this week.

Next weekend it will be Mally v Millbank again – with vital league points the prize.

Royal Oak 2 Six Bells 5

Macca Lewis bagged a four-goal haul to reach 15 for the season as Six Bells won a Lee Jones Cup thriller.

Bells now face Conwy Comrades in the semi-final.

Before this season Bells had never beaten the Royal Oak, but this term they have managed it twice.

Today they achieved an identical 5-2 triumph to the one they celebrated against Mark Dudley’s side in the league early in the season. Oak had also defeated Bells 5-1 in the Challenge Cup in November.

This morning’s encounter was end-to-end with chances galore.

The Oak went 1-0 up after Ethan Taylor headed in, but the Bells kept their heads up and within five minutes they led 2-1.

Lewis equalised after good play from the impressive Chris Bower. And Macca soon profited from quality work by new signing Dean Gunter to edge the Bells ahead.

Oak ended the half strongly, Adam Cassidy, Matty Rees and Callum Murphy all missing huge chances.

After the break Bells created a host of opportunities, but initially struggled to kill off the opposition. Ellis Blench was running the show in midfield.

Royal had a 15-minute spell where they should have got level, Cassidy denied three times by the brilliance of man of the match Tom Bradley.

With 15 minutes to play it became 3-1 when the ball broke to substitute Aaron Ralph, who kept his cool and finished well.

That man Macca Lewis (pink and black) on the ball again for Six Bells. Picture: MATT JOHNSON

Straight from the kick off, Oak gave the ball away and Lewis lobbed the keeper for his hat-trick after fine play from Josh Jones.

Jones then went on a great run, taking on two players, but his shot hit the post.

Gunter impressed again when he played in Lewis, who beat the keeper to make it 5-1.

Oak had a player sent off before Cassidy grabbed them a well-deserved goal.


Conwy Comrades 7 Rhyl Wanderers 3

Comrades reached a third semi-final of the season with an emphatic win over Wanderers.

Jamie Haggas continued his fine scoring form with a double, but it was Lee Stokes’ wonder strike which was the goal of the day – a curler right into the top corner.

Stokes added another and there were single goals from Jordan Tidswell, Josh Baxter and Harry Roberts.

Wanderers hit back with a Luke Bradshaw pair, one a penalty and another via a Will Smith assist. Andy Taylor was also on target, Thomas Inns with the assist.


The Alex 5 Bar Bow 2

Jack McGovern plundered a hat-trick for a strengthened and improved Alex side which stunned the Bow.

Dan Roberts and man of the match Gaz Sharp – via a 35-yard free kick which dipped into the top corner – also found the net for the Llandudno team, who celebrated just their second win of the campaign.

Colin Sargerson netted Bow’s first, which made it 1-1. It was a tap in from a rebound off the crossbar following a shot from Harrison Bellis.

Bow’s second was scored by veteran keeper Ryan Fox, who wanted a run out of goal and showed his finishing ability.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: