Ardal Northern – Nantlle Vale stun Denbigh Town in cup, Chirk AAA back on top, more Mold magic

Thrilling goalmouth action from Denbigh Town (red) versus Nantlle Vale. Denbigh Town photography is by ROY GUNTHER/STEPHEN WHITFIELD



Report: Iwan Jones

Denbigh Town 2 Nantlle Vale 2
(Nantlle won 5-4 on penalties)

For the third time this season Denbigh went out of a cup competition on penalties.

Spot-kick exits to Llandudno in the Nathaniel MG Cup and Penrhyndeudraeth in the FAW Amateur Trophy – they were beaten 4-0 by Caernarfon Town in the Welsh Cup – were followed by more shoot-out heartbreak against Nantlle Vale in the League Cup on Saturday.

After twice taking the lead through first half goals from Jacob Barratt and Sam Jones, Town allowed the visitors to come back twice and force the tie to penalties.

Dafydd Buckley Roberts converted the decisive penalty which took Nantlle to an away tie at St Asaph in the next round.

The clubs had met in the league at the end of November with Town coming out 3-1 winners and they went into this game as favourites.

Denbigh took control after 10 minutes when Jake Walker did well in the penalty area to find Barratt, who slid the ball under Owain Roberts in the Vale goal.

The home lead only lasted six minutes as new signing from Bala Town, David Yates, rose highest in the box to head the equaliser.

A minute later Denbigh were ahead from a superb team goal. Kristian Pierce picked up the ball in midfield and fired a cross-field pass to Billy Holmes in full flight on the left wing. His low cross was met by Sam Jones to flick the ball home from close range.

After 29 minutes Nantlle equalised from a cross which Denbigh failed to clear and Harri Hughes was able to head home from eight yards.

Half-time: 2-2

Denbigh striker Jake Walker (red looked unlucky not to win a penalty here. Denbigh Town photography by STEPHEN WHITFIELD/ROY GUNTHER

Denbigh piled on the pressure after the break, Paul Fleming jinking his way into the Vale penalty area and finding Barratt, whose shot cannoned off the post and away to safety.

The visitors were defending heroically and were seen to be dangerous on the break with Ashley Fon Owen always looking lively.

On 78 minutes Denbigh made a double substitution with the returning Josh Davies and Lee Davey replacing Sam Jones and Pierce as a change of tact was needed to get the winning goal.

Despite lots of endeavour and close calls the winning goal eluded Town and the game went to penalties.

Aaron Jones saved one for Denbigh, but in the opposing goal Owain Roberts stopped twice before Buckley-Roberts fired home the winner.

Denbigh Town
Aaron Jones, Sion Jones, Billy Holmes, Will Ashley, Stuart Jones, Keiron Roberts, Kristian Pierce, Paul Fleming (capt), Jake Walker, Sam Jones, Jacob Barratt. Subs – Sam Tate, Leigh Craven, Lee Davey, Josh Davies, Dan Clarke

Nantlle Vale
Owain Roberts, Aled Williams, Sion Pollard, Sion Jones, Cai Morgan, David Yates, Ashley Owen, Jamie Thomas, Guto Gwenallt, Dafydd Roberts, Harri Hughes : Subs – Mathew Davies, Llion Griffiths, Math Jones, Rob Daniels, Daniel Bell.


Chirk AAA 6 Four Crosses 1

Rampant Chirk moved back to the top of the table after a 6-1 win against bottom club Four Crosses.

It was a welcome result for the Colliers after two successive defeats.

But it didn’t go to plan at the start of the game with Crosses going ahead in the first minute courtesy of a Howard Williams free kick.

Chirk soon recovered with Liam Sklenar equalising after 12 minutes.

Lewis Clamp put the reds ahead minutes later with Jack Edwards scoring a third on the half hour mark.

Crosses, to their credit, gave a good account of themselves and created chances of their own but all to no avail and as they tired Chirk took advantage and scored 3 late goals through Jake Jones (2) and Jake Ellison.


Report: Treflyn Jones

Llandudno Albion 0 Porthmadog 2

Porthmadog edged up to second in the North West table with a two-goal success at Maesdu Park.

In just the fourth minute a very good-looking Julian Williams free kick from outside of the box shaved the crossbar.

Soon after Rhys Alun was put clean through on goal by Marcus Banks but his low right-footed shot drifted wide.

On 38 minutes Julian Williams appeared to be fouled in the box when cutting in from the right flank, but to the amazement of the visiting supporters, Port were only awarded a corner.

Finally, on 45 minutes, Port got the goal their overall play merited. Julian Williams evaded two defenders and unleashed a trademark left footer all along the deck which goalkeeper Louis Williams did very well to parry. However, debutant Cai Parry was on hand to pick up the pieces as he gleefully side-footed home.

In injury time, Dewi Thomas headed goalwards from a fine Paul Lewis cross but his effort was cleared off the line by an Albion defender.

Twelve minutes into the second half, Port doubled their money when Rhys Alun made no mistake in diverting a fine cross by Julian Williams.

Albion now threw everything into attack and David Maddock did well to evade two Port defenders before letting fly with a blistering effort which went wide of the mark.

On 64 minutes, Jordan Kane’s good attempt on the turn went over the bar.

Albion enjoyed a purple patch but their progress ran completely out of momentum when Adam Hold was shown a second yellow card on 85 minutes.

Llanrwst United 2 CPD Y Felinheli 0

Graphic – CPD Llanrwst United – diolch

Goals from hotshots Benn Lundstram and Callum Parry secured the points for the Roosters.

The deadlock was broken in the 25th minute when Sam Jones set up Lundstram, whose low shot in the box was too firm for Felinheli keeper Guto Hughes.

Hughes did well to keep out a 54th minute strike from Sam Jones, but Parry was following up to score from the rebound.

Parry found the net on another occasion, but the effort was ruled out for handball.

The visitors had Ifan Jones sent off in added time.

Mold Alexandra 4 Blaenau Amateurs 0

Jacob Wise netted on his debut for Mold

Debutants Jacob Wise and Phil Lloyd both scored for leaders Mold in an emphatic win over the Quarrymen.

Giant defender Wise proved his worth in the opposition box when he netted the home side’s first on 24 minutes.

Matty Lewis made it 2-0 in the 35th minute following a great assist from Joe Ormrod.

Early in the second half Danny Warren’s 30th goal in all competitions this term put the Alex three-up, Ormrod again effective in the build up.

And in the 71st minute former Holywell Town star Lloyd came off the bench to find the net, Warren this time with the assist.

Saltney Town 2 Rhydymwyn 1

Two second half goals from Jake Johnson – including an absolute stunner from 25 yards – ensured Saltney turned a deficit into a win at Sandy Lane.

After a goal-less first period, Nathan Mendoza had edged Rhyd in front in the 49th minute.

Johnson hit back on 65 and 88.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: