Red cards galore on an action-packed weekend in the JD Cymru North

Great action at Victoria Park as Llanidloes Town (yellow and green) entertain Holywell Town. The game ended 1-1. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS


Holyhead Hotspur 1
Airbus UK Broughton 2

Hotspur manager Darren Garmey was less than happy with the match-turning incident which saw goalscorer and midfield talisman Jay Gibbs sent off.

Gibbs, who had put the hosts one-up against the leaders, was shown a red card for what appeared an innocuous trip on Adam Davies after 36 minutes.

Although the Holy Islanders held onto their lead until the break, two goals four minutes apart before the hour from Oli Lanceley and Ryan Edwards transformed the game in the Wingmakers’ favour.

“We deserved more today based on the first half performance and the effort the lads put in when were down to 10 men,” said home manager Garmey. “We are extremely proud of the lads and can take a lot of heart from today’s showing.

“But we cannot ignore the performance of the officials yet again, which is becoming a worry after seeing it week in week out.”

Holyhead had the better of the first half, Rob Jones with a big chance following a defensive mix up only to find the side-netting.

Further efforts followed from Liam Morris and Leon Doran before Gibbs finished skilfully left-footed from 18 yards in the 25th minute.

Then came the controversial sending off which no doubt had a big effect on the game.

Hotspur’s past disciplinary problems have been largely put behind them this season. This was just their second red card of 2021-22.

Airbus’ victory put them seven points clear after second and third-place Llandudno and Guilsfield drew 0-0.

Llanidloes Town 1
Holywell Town 1

A nice view shot of the stand and dug-outs at Victoria Park during the match. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS

Although Holywell made it five matches undefeated in the Cymru North they will feel they should probably have had a fifth straight win with Llanidloes having to play the entire second half with 10 men.

Yet it was a pretty even encounter throughout, with both goalkeepers in excellent form.

The Wellmen were quickly out of the blocks at Victoria Park, Ollie Buckley’s looping header dropping inches wide of Luke Evans’ right hand post.

Connor Bird had the home side’s first chance, but missed narrowly.

In the eighth minute the visitors took the lead. Danny Sullivan was held back in the box, fell to ground and the referee pointed to the spot. Danny Andrews stepped up and fired home.

Andrew Evans’ free kick tested Holywell keeper Keighan Jones before the home side were reduced to 10 men after 39 minutes as Lance Jones was shown a red card for a bad challenge on Dave Forbes.

Half-time: 0-1

Early in the second half, Llanidloes’ Luke Boundford turned and shot but Jones saved brilliantly.

The 10 men kept persisting and equalised on 58 minutes. A good move saw Jones produce another fine stop, but the ball fell to Bird who tapped home at the far post.

Evans saved superbly to deny Andrews giving Town the lead again, then Sullivan fired over when in a good position.

Daffs glovesman Evans did well to thwart Andrews once more, before late on Jones performed marvels to keep the ball out, then two further chances fell to Bird and Boundford, but thankfully for the Wellmen their efforts flew inches wide.

Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant 3
Prestatyn Town 2

Disaster for Prestatyn as they not only lost after being two goals up, but also had two players sent off.

Charlie Mann and substitute Callum Roberts were both dismissed at the Recreation Field, bringing Town’s red cards total for the season to seven.

Only Bangor City (11) and Llangefni Town (9) have received more.

Llanrhaeadr did not get off punishment-free either. Their player-manager Marc Griffiths was given his marching orders after just 15 minutes.

By half time, goals from Jacob Wise and Dominic Elsey-McHugh had put Prestatyn 2-0 up, but they were also down to 10 after Mann’s 41st minute dismissal.

Iain Edmunds became Llanrhaeadr’s second half hero, scoring on 49, 73 and 90 minutes to complete a hat-trick and win the game.

Roberts was sent off for the visitors in the 88th minute.

It was Llanrhaeadr’s very first win of the season at the 17th attempt and lifted them off the bottom of the table.

Ruthin Town 5
Penrhyncoch 1

Trailing 1-0 at half time, Ruthin turned the tables completely after the break to seal a 5-1 victory, Jamie Cumming netting four times.

In atrocious conditions at the Memorial Fields, Harri Horwood’s 15th minute strike gave Penrhyn an interval advantage.

Town are quite a proposition these days, though, and went on to control the second half.

Cumming converted a 52nd minute penalty before Charlie Williams put the hosts 2-1 up with an exquisite finish.

Another Cumming penalty on 75 made it 3-1 and the same player struck on 80 and 85 to complete a memorable afternoon for the 25-year-old dazzler.

Llandudno 0
Guilsfield 0

With a lot at stake in this clash of the high-flyers, a tasty tussle ensued at Maesdu Park, these days known as the OPS Wind Arena

Guilsfield’s Adam Jenkins was red carded on 32 minutes and Llandudno’s Morgan Owen received the same punishment soon after.

Plenty of effort and determination was on show, but no goals. Guilsfield remain the Cymru North’s only unbeaten side after 14 matches.

Bangor City P
Buckley Town P
(Bangor City suspended from football)


Colwyn Bay 2 Gresford Athletic 1
Llangefni Town 0 Conwy Borough 3

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: