FAW Women’s Welsh Cup – Rhyl 1879, Pwllheli and Nomads advance to last 16

Pwllheli beat Llandudno to reach the last 16 of the Welsh Cup. Match-winner Katie Bowe is back row, second from left


Airbus UK Broughton 0 Connah’s Quay Nomads 1 (Amber Bailey 52)

NFA 1 (Amy Webster 41) CPD Y Rhyl 1879 5 (Emily Bentley 2, 85, Tegan Crockett 6, Rebecca Bannister 12, Alicia Duke 78)

Pwllheli 2 (Lois Thomas 50, Katie Bowe 52) Llandudno 1 (Ffion Owen 34)

Wrexham 0 The New Saints 3 (Lucie Platt 45, Lexie Harrison 62, Caitlin Chapman 75)

CPDM Bethel (Bye to Round 2)

REPORTS (more detailed ones could follow)

Pwllheli 2 Llandudno 1

Katie Bowe notched Pwllheli’s winner against her old club seven minutes into the second half of today’s Welsh Cup first round clash at The Rec.

One of the heroes of Llandudno’s run to the final in 2015-16, Bowe joined Pwllheli in August 2020 and scored what appeared to be a controversial deciding goal in this afternoon’s battle of Genero Adran North sides.

Tudno took a 34th minute lead when Ffion Owen met a Ceri Slaney corner with her knee and the ball flew into the net.

Pwllheli came out fired up for the second half and were soon on level terms through Lois Thomas, who back-headed the ball over marker Kelsey Hughes and then outpaced the defender before slotting home right-footed inside the box.

Two minutes later, a through ball split the Llandudno defence and Bowe, with the away defenders appealing for offside which looked correct, calmly finished from near the penalty spot.

An outstanding team effort from Pwllheli with Lowri Hughes shading it as player of the match.

NFA 1 CPD Y Rhyl 1879 5

Two-goal hero Emily Bentley

In only their second competitive match under the 1879 banner Rhyl’s young dazzlers stormed into the last 16 of the Welsh Cup

With veterans Ceri Purvis and Natalie Harrison having joined Airbus, a younger Rhyl side than usual took to the field at Ffordd Ty Newydd, a fact reflected in three of their goalscorers being aged 18, 18 and 16.

And in a storming start, the visitors were three-up inside 12 minutes.

Former Burnley player Emily Bentley set the ball rolling in the second minute when she lashed a left-footer into the bottom corner.

Tegan Crockett, a 16-year-old who has progressed through Rhyl junior sides, doubled the lead on six minutes when she capitalised after NFA keeper Yasmin Mills spilled a Laura Williams shot.

In the 12th minute, 22-year-old “veteran” Rebecca Bannister made it 3-0 with an unstoppable free kick from outside the box.

Amy Webster gave NFA hope with a goal four minutes before the break.

No further goals arrived until the 78th minute, when teenager Alicia Duke scored a stunner from the right touchline after some great build-up play.

And Bentley added a fifth on 85 from outside the area after neat passing play from the back.

Airbus UK Broughton 0 Connah’s Quay Nomads 1

Substitute Amber Bailey’s deflected strike early in the second half was all that decided this derby at the Hollingsworth Group Stadium.
Airbus keeper Ceri Evans kept her team in the game with a series of tremendous saves.
Nomads had Cat King in the starting lineup for the first time this season which boosted the strength of the back-four
Chances were limited in the first 20 minutes, the hosts threatening through a Tegan Hewitt free kick which flew just wide.
The first big chance for Nomads came in the 25th minute when Tamara Hamer had a one-on-one with keeper Evans. The initial shot was well saved but the ball fell to Lani Bouckley who let fly, but Evans was equal to the effort.
Just before the break the Wingmakers went desperately close in a one-on-one situation where the ball rolled just wide. Quay keeper Charlie Bolland came out to the edge of the box and made herself big, which helped ensure the narrow miss.
During half time Nomads manager Jordan Parry made two subs, Emily Luke and Llinos Hughes being replaced by Bailey and Emma Roden
Almost instantly the changes paid off. A Nomads corner caused problems in the Airbus box. Shots came in from Kylie Jones, Niamh Grimshaw and Lani Bouckley but they were either saved by the keeper or blocked by the bodies on the line.
The ball then was kicked against Bailey and deflected fortunately up and over the keeper and dropped into the back of the net.
In the 65th minute, Nomads’ Kylie Jones was brought off for Jade Davies. Again this had a quick effect with Davies in on goal, but her shot was well stopped by Evans.
More heroics from Evans followed in the latter stages, but it ended 1-0.

Wrexham 0 The New Saints 3

Wrexham did well to hold their Genero Adran Premier visitors to just a 1-0 lead at half time, but the Saints went on to clinch the tie in the second stanza.
Lucie Platt broke the deadlock on the stroke of the interval, then Lexie Harrison with a long-range screamer and Caitlin Chapman following a rebound off the post added further goals after the break.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: