Holywell rue missed chances as clash with 10-man Gresford ends in draw

Holywell striker Dave Forbes is denied by Gresford keeper Robbie Williams. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS


Gresford Athletic 0
Holywell Town 0

A good result for the Wellmen, but they will feel it should have been all three points against 10-man Gresford.

Athletic. had the first chance when Alex Buxton broke clear on goal, but his shot was gathered well by Keighan Jones.

From then on, the Wellmen took control.

Ollie Buckley’s header was saved well by Robbie Williams, the rebound was picked up by Ilan Ap Gareth but his shot was punched clear and the Gresford defence managed to get the ball to safety.

Moments later, Dave Forbes laid off to Ilan ap Gareth, but his shot flew past the post.

It was all Holywell by now. Buckley picked up the ball at the edge of the box, turned his marker and his low shot was saved well by Williams.

Jake Cooke then saw an attempt flash wide of the post.

As the half came to an end, Forbes passed to Buckley, who weaved past his marker, but as he rounded the keeper, his touch let him down and the ball ran out of play for a goal kick.

Half-time: 0-0

Great action in the Gresford box. Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS

The second half began as the first ended with Town on the attack.

Buckley, Ilan ap Gareth and Alec Williams went close before Holywell keeper Keighan Jones was called into action, saving well before Tony Roebuck was able to clear.

On 65 minutes, Gresford were reduced to 10 men as Buxton received his marching orders for a bad challenge on Ilan ap Gareth.

Town kept pressing. Ben Brierley’s header almost did the trick, then Shaun Tuck saw his snap shot blocked.

In the dying minutes, Brierley had an effort saved, then in the final attack of the match, a great cross by Roebuck found Myles Hart, but his header went wide.

Holywell were left to rue missed chances, but they extended their unbeaten run to four games.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: