Six draws out of eight but Airbus go nap – reports from the JD Cymru North

Cracking action from Holyhead Hotspur v Colwyn Bay. Great to see the supporters back. Picture: CHRIS WILLZ PHOTOGRAPHY AND FILM

Holyhead Hotspur 0 Colwyn Bay 0

Hotspur manager Darren Garmey could not have been more proud of his side after they held a strong Colwyn Bay outfit to a goalless draw at the New Stadium on Tuesday night.

On an evening where six of the eight Cymru North fixtures ended in draws, this one was among the stalemates, but both sides could have pinched it.

Garmey said: “I could not be prouder of the lads tonight for the effort they put into that game.

“Tonight we faced a top side in Colwyn Bay and I thought we stood up to the challenge from the first to the last minute.”

Hotspur had a few close calls.

Defender Alex Jones’ header rattled the crossbar in the first half, while there were decent efforts in the second period from Melvin McGinness, Callum Parry and a long range attempt by Dean Garmey which was not far away.

Bay also had their moments.

Lewis Sirrell went close from a free kick early on, while Jack Higgins had a header saved and missed the target with two other efforts before half-time.

Penalty shout? Mel McGinness (stripes) in the thick of the penalty box action for Hotspur. Picture: CHRIS WILLZ PHOTOGRAPHY AND FILM

Tom McCready saw his thunderbolt parried away by home keeper Paul Pritchard and Sam Jones was narrowly wide before Julian Williams headed narrowly off radar from a corner in added time.

It was a difficult night for Colwyn Bay players, management, officials and supporters following the passing of club chairman Bill Murray after being admitted to hospital last week.

Mr Murray’s involvement with the club went back well beyond 20 years, serving as treasurer and taking over the role of chairman in 2018.

The club will hold a minute’s silence in his honour at Saturday’s home game against Ruthin Town and are planning a commemorative event in the near future.

Airbus UK Broughton 5 (Joe Palmer 20, Adam Davies pen 38 & 72, George Peers 83 & 86) Llangefni Town 0

On a night of numerous close encounters in the Cymru North, the exception occurred at the Hollingsworth Group Stadium where the Wingmakers put five past Llangefni.

Steve O’Shaughnessy’s men were on top from the start, Oli Lanceley hitting the bar before a curling free kick from the edge of the box by Joe Palmer made it 1-0 in the 20th minute.

The hosts were awarded a 38th minute penalty for a foul on Nathan Brown and Adam Davies converted from the spot.

Gaz Edwards’ header against the woodwork nearly made it three before the break.

Llangefni rallied well in the second half and ‘Bus could not start to relax until the 72nd minute when Davies completed a brace, finding the top corner from short range.

The contest was now over and a late double from George Peers proved the icing on the cake for the hosts, who made it two wins in two.

Prestatyn Town 1 (Jamie Reed 7) Llandudno 1 (Gareth Evans 57)

Jamie Reed opened his account for Prestatyn. Picture: Prestatyn Town FC Twitter

Ten-man Prestatyn had to settle for a point at Bastion Gardens.

It all started well for the Seasiders, the gifted Jamie Reed putting them in front with a back-heeled effort from a Ryan Wade cross on seven minutes.

Llandudno posed threats of their own, a Shaun Cavanagh free kick forcing a 24th minute save from Niki-Lee Bulmer.

The hosts started the second half well, Wade drawing an early stop from Shaun Pearson.

However, Llandudno levelled in the 59th minute when Gareth Evans found the net.

Two minutes later, it got worse for Prestatyn when Brandon Burrows was shown a red card.

Despite that setback, Ben Heath’s side pressed for a winner, Wade denied by a Pearson save and Paul Johnson going close with a speculative long range effort.

At the other end, Bulmer denied Max Moore, who then put the rebound over.

It was a game of few chances and the result was just about right.

Penrhyncoch 0 Bangor City 1 (Agustín Zicarelli 33)

City bounced back from their opening night disappointment at Buckley by taking all three points off Penrhyncoch.

Argentinian Agustín Zicarelli scored the only goal on 33 minutes for the Citizens, who had to play the entire second half with 10 men following the dismissal of Uruguayan Federico Tobler.

Penrhyncoch came flying out the traps and applied some good early pressure which could have delivered a reward with better finishing.

City eventually settled and took the lead just past the half-hour.

A quick move saw Ignacio Torres win possession high up in the Pen half and feed a great ball to the edge of the box where Zicarelli fired into the bottom corner.

Leigh Jenkins in the home goal produced a fine stop from a Giacomo Mello strike before Tobler was sent off for retaliation just before half time.

Ten-man Bangor restructured but remained an attacking threat after the break, Dante Isla being sent clean through on goal in the 52nd minute but blasting over.

Tyler Garratt hit the bar, while Isla and David Carty missed further good chances for the visitors, but the Roosters posed an occasional danger themselves.

Keeper Scott Reed ensured the three points went back to Nantporth after a brilliant late reaction save from a shot which deflected off Lucas Surber.

Holywell Town 1 (Alec Williams 51) Ruthin Town 1 (Matty Hill 90 + 3)

Alec Williams heads home for Holywell (red). Picture: LEE PAUL DOUGLAS

For the second home game running Holywell were unable to hold onto a lead as Matty Hill bagged an equaliser for Ruthin three minutes into added time.

There was an early scare for the Wellmen when an error from keeper Mike Platt left Daniel Cox with almost an open goal, but his effort was cleared off the line by Jake Cooke.

Cox was prominent in the early stages as he also rattled the crossbar from a free kick.

Holywell settled and Mark Winslade forced a great stop from Ryan Goldston.

Half time arrived goalless, but seven minutes into the second period the hosts edged in front.

An outrageous rabona delivery from Cooke (footage available on social media) was headed home by Alec Williams for 1-0.

Luke Edwards missed by a fraction from a free kick and Cooke went close as Holywell chased a decisive second.

But that clincher never came and in the 93rd minute Hill made it all-square.


Conwy Borough 0 Gresford Athletic 0
Guilsfield 1 (Iwan Lewis 46) Buckley Town 1 (Dylan Roberts 76)
Llanidloes Town 0 Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant 0

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: