Flashback – 15 years ago: Paul Roberts hits hat-trick in City end-of-season triumph

Paul Roberts netted a hat-trick

Grange Quins 2 (White 3, 44)
Bangor City 3 (Roberts 11, 53 & 87)
League of Wales – 2005/06

Fifteen years ago this week a hat-trick from leading goalscorer Paul Roberts sealed an end of season win for City and ended the brief stay of Cardiff Grange Quins in the Welsh Premier.

With Paul O’Neill absent through injury, Carl Lamb made a rare start at centre half alongside Martin Beattie and midfielder Chris Priest a welcome return alongside Kieran Killackey.

Sixteen-year-old Quins striker Nathan White chased a ball down the middle of City’s makeshift defence to put the home side ahead inside three minutes to fuel hopes of an upset.

But eight minutes later – after Tanetta had hit the bar – Roberts brought City level with a close range finish after good build up play involving impressive midfielders Layton Maxwell and Priest.

On 24 minutes, Killackey was yellow-carded and with one eye on the Welsh Cup Final, City manager Clayton Blackmore withdrew the midfielder and sent on the versatile Kyle Jones. Priest was also yellow carded seven minutes before the interval.

With both sides contemplating half time young White struck again on 44 minutes with a clean strike from the edge of the box to give the home side a 2-1 half time lead.

Half-time: Quins 2 Bangor City 1

At the restart Blackmore withdrew Mike Linnecar in favour of promising youngster Mike Burke.

City centre back Beattie cleared off the line before on 53 minutes Roberts struck again as he put the finishing touch to a good team move to level the sides at two all.

On 68 minutes there was the novel sight of a goalkeeping change when Andy Price replaced Ian Havard. The former Bolton youngster will be pleased he kept a clean sheet for the remaining 25 or so minutes.

As the final 20 minutes approached Lamb was switched to attack and his presence helped Roberts complete his treble on 87.

There was still time for the Quins to self destruct with red cards shown to Adbillahi, Tingley and goalscorer White in the closing minutes as Port Talbot official Phil Southall lost patience with the frustrated – and relegated – home side.

Bangor: Ian Havard (Andrew Price), Clayton Blackmore, Ben Ogilvy, Kieran Killackey (Kyle Jones), Martin Beattie, Carl Lamb, Layton Maxwell, Chris Priest, Paul Roberts, Mike Linnecar (Mike Burke), Carl Jones.

Thanks to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice website for another great report

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: