Flashback – 20 years ago: Future Wales star Danny Collins takes on Porthmadog

Future Wales defender Danny Collins played for Buckley Town in a 1-1 home draw with Porthmadog 20 years ago this week. Picture: Pete Norton, Getty Images

Buckley Town 1 (Hardstaff 74)
Porthmadog 1 (Jones 85)
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League – April 25, 2001

Nineteen year-old future Sunderland, Stoke City and Wales centre-half Danny Collins turned out for Buckley in a Cymru Alliance clash with Porthmadog 20 years ago this week.

A hard-fought encounter with defences by and large dominating produced just about the right result.

Buckley put on early pressure and forced a corner after three minutes from which Mike Lewis went close when his shot flew just over the bar.

After weathering these attacks the visitors took increasing control and on 10 minutes Lewis Coady almost scored following good work by Steve Pugh.

Port were unlucky to lose the services of danger man Pugh after only 17 minutes when he pulled up with hamstring trouble.

Nonetheless, the travellers continued to apply the pressure with Buckley only threatening with occasional counter-attacks.

From one of these former Port star Dave Taylor, European Golden Shoe winner with the club in 1993-94, should have done better with only the keeper to beat.

The visitors should have opened the scoring after 29 minutes when chances fell to Emyr Jones and Richard Hughes, but the Buckley defence scrambled the ball away for a corner.

After 34 minutes Port appeals for a penalty, when a defender appeared to handle on the line, were turned down.
In the closing stages of the first half Pearce and then Collins had efforts for Buckley, but the interval was reached without a goal.

Half-time: 0-0

The second half opened as the first with the home team on the attack and Port defender Warren Gibbs was called upon to make two good defensive headers.

Warren Gibbs

After 50 minutes Coady went close for Port when his dipping shot from 18 yards went a whisker over the bar.

Port again threatened on 67 when keeper Turner dropped a cross under pressure from Emyr Jones, but the ball was cleared.

Jones again looked certain to score when he drove powerfully from Richard Hughes’ fine cross, but he was foiled by a diving save.

The deadlock was broken, however, after 74 minutes.

Buckley’s Terry Cooke sent in a blistering 25 yard drive which was brilliantly pushed away by Tony Roberts in the visitors goal, but only into the path of sub Dean Hardstaff, who drove into the net from close range.

With five minutes left, Port’s Mike Foster sent over a long corner from the right which was well controlled by Emyr Jones and driven into the net.

Buckley: Paul Turner, Jimmy Harrison, Terry Cooke, Lee Collins, Lee Jones, Phil Hinchcliffe, Geoff Hinchcliffe, Mike Lewis, Pearce, Dave Taylor, Danny Collins. Subs: Scott, Dean Hardstaff, Lee Davies.

Porthmadog: Tony Roberts, Martin Jones, Warren Gibbs, Mike Foster, Neil Roberts, Dafydd Evans, Richard Hughes, Lewis Coady (Osian Roberts), Kevin Roberts, Steve Pugh (Cai Williams, Gareth Caughter), Emyr Jones.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: