Flashback – 20 years ago: Carl Owen pair is enough to secure Port win at Hotspur

Carl Owen (white) struck twice for Porthmadog at Holyhead. Picture: Emyr Gareth

Holyhead Hotspur 1 (Moore 43)
Porthmadog 2 (Owen 57 & 72)
Huws Gray Fitlock Cymru Alliance League
January 27, 2001

Carl Owen’s second-half double ensured Porthmadog repeated their Welsh Cup win at Holyhead earlier in the season.

On this date 20 years ago, Port played down the slope during the first period and from the sixth minute, when they forced their first corner, they totally dominated the half.

The first golden opportunity fell to the visitors’ Steven Pugh, who was in the starting line-up for the first time since early season. His shot was delayed too long and the chance was squandered.

Nigel Moore then managed the first real shot on goal for the home team after 14 minutes but it was easily dealt with by keeper Kenny Dixon.

In the space of eight minutes three clear-cut chances fell to Port.

After 25 Lewis Coady’s excellent cross field pass was headed to the feet of Pugh but the shot was miscued.

Soon after another cross found Pugh in space but the striker’s shot flew wide.

In the 33rd minute, good work by Martin Jones found Kevin Roberts free in the box with only the keeper to beat but the shot was delayed and the ball scrambled clear.

Dixon denied Casey Jones before a counter attack after 43 minutes let to Hotspur taking an unexpected lead.

Jones’ cross was driven in by the ever-dangerous Moore to make it 1-0.

Half-time: Hotspur 1 Porthmadog 0

In the second half Carl Owen, on the bench after receiving a knock during midweek, was called upon to revive the visitors’ fortunes.

It took Owen only until the 57th minute to make his mark on the game when a well-placed low drive found the net past the keeper’s left hand.

Then followed a period of all-out Holyhead attack, forcing corner after corner, but the away defence held strong.

Port were now having difficulty getting out of their own half but occasionally did manage a break.

After 72 minutes came the move which settled the game – and it was one worthy of being a match-winner.

A high ball out of defence was met by Owen on the centre line and directed into the path of the outstanding Danny Hughes.

His return pass was met by Owen and though his first effort was parried by Paul Pritchard, he made no mistake with the rebound, finding the net and scoring his seventh goal in as many games.

Hotspur piled on the pressure and after 78 minutes Dixon tipped over a 25-yard Adrian Owen effort.

The aerial bombardment continued with a succession of corners and high crosses but fortunately Dixon, Warren Gibbs, Campbell Harrison and Mike Foster were at their best in the Port defence.

A nail-biting finish to an exciting match with the visitors just holding out.

Holyhead: Paul Pritchard, Andy Cooke, Alan Doutch, Jason Joyce, Martin Bohana, Jonathan Parry, Casey Jones, Dave Williams, Nigel Moore, Carl Taylor, Terry Williams. Subs: Kyle Hazelaar, Adrian Owen, Colin Tatlock.

Port: Kenny Dixon, Martin Jones, Warren Gibbs, Mike Foster, Campbell Harrison, Dafydd Evans, Danny Hughes, Lewis Coady, Gareth Caughter, Steven Pugh (Carl Owen 46), Kevin Roberts. Subs: Owain Tudur Jones, Neil Roberts.

Many thanks to Gareth Williams for the match report

Please help CPD Porthmadog in their time of need

As if North Wales football has not suffered enough over the past 10 months with the effects of coronavirus.

Last week brought a fresh crisis for clubs hard-hit by the awful flooding across the north imposed by Storm Christoph.

Some of the most devastating damage was caused at CPD Porthmadog, where the floods have been described as the worst in living memory.

Officials say it is heartbreaking to see the destruction following the tremendous efforts that volunteers have put into upgrading facilities at Y Traeth over the last nine months.

The club has launched a JUST GIVING page to raise money to help fund all the work needed to clean up and repair the damage caused.

Any donation, big or small, will be a huge help as the club’s insurance doesn’t cover flood damage.

You can make a contribution on the Crowdfunding page justgiving.com –


Up to early Wednesday afternoon (January 27) £2,505 towards a £5,000 target had been raised – that’s over half!

Thanks also to Pike’s Newsagents who are collecting donations for the club.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: