Flashback – 15 years: Cofis win at Port in the Welsh Cup

Goalmouth action from the Traeth as Caernarfon defend. Picture: Emyr Gareth

CPD Porthmadog 0
Caernarfon Town 3 (Lee Jones 8 & 87; Jason Sadler 51)
Welsh Cup third round – November 5, 2005

On paper this was a very even tie with both Porthmadog and Caernarfon in the bottom half of the League of Wales, but on this day 15 years ago the Canaries were by far the better side.

The home team could point to the awful playing conditions as an excuse for goals conceded as a result of dreadful errors, but on the other hand the visitors adapted well to difficulties underfoot, passing accurately and always looking in control.

After eight minutes at Y Traeth, Waynne Phillips’ Caernarfon were ahead.

The experienced Kenny Irons capitalised on one of the many under-hit passes in midfield to send the speedy Lee Jones through on the right of the box and the former Wrexham striker beat Richard Harvey at the near post.

Following this early setback, the home side worked hard to get back into the game and after 11 minutes Carl Owen headed a Les Davies cross over the bar.

Carl Owen (furthest right – red) on the attack. Picture: Emyr Gareth

Two incidents in the opening period called into question the policy of playing Carl Owen as a lone striker.

First, a Mike Foster free-kick was dropped by Cofis keeper Paul Pritchard, but there was no-one on hand to take advantage.

Then a good through ball by Rhys Roberts for Carl Owen to run onto again showed why Port find scoring so difficult. Owen was forced wide by two defenders but lacking support he had to delay his pass and a good opportunity was lost.

Just after the half-hour mark Caernarfon should have gone further ahead.

This time a miscue by Ryan Davies allowed Jason Sadler through on goal, but Harvey saved well with his legs.

Port forced a few corners in the run up to half-time, but Pritchard did not have to make a serious save.

Half time: Porthmadog 0 Caernarfon 1

Port needed an early goal in the second period but it was Caernarfon who increased their lead after 51 minutes when Lee Jones took full advantage of a slip on the wet surface by Lee Webber to supply Sadler, who had the simplest of tasks to score from six yards.

The hosts tried to raise the tempo but their play was riddled with errors and they gave the ball away far too often.

They came close on a couple of occasions, a Carl Owen header from an Ywain Gwynedd cross clearing the bar, then on 70 minutes Pritchard thwarted a Rhys Roberts effort at point blank range.

Although Port enjoyed territorial advantage at this stage it was Town who looked the most likely to score.

Harvey pushed out another Jones shot and Sadler drove into the side-netting. Harvey again had to make near post save to keep out the menacing Jones.

With eight minutes left Port introduced three substitutes but by now the game was well over and inevitably it was Lee Jones who had the last word.

Sub Craig Garside picked up a loose clearance, found Jones in the box and the ball dropped kindly for the forward, who scored his second to make it 3-0.


Port: Richard Harvey, Danny Hughes, Ryan Davies, Lee Webber, Mike Foster, Ywain Gwynedd, Gareth Parry (Ritchie Owen 82), Rhys Roberts, Neil Thomas, Les Davies (Jason Harvey 82), Carl Owen (Tony Williams 82).

Caernarfon: Paul Pritchard, Mark Evans, Jimmy McNulty, Kenny Irons, Eifion Jones, Dan March, Gwyn Peters, Rob Williams, Jason Sadler, Lee Jones, Dylan Owen (Craig Garside 79).
Subs not used: Marcus Orlik, Waynne Phillips.

Many thanks to Gareth Williams for match information and Emyr Gareth for photographs

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: