Flashback – 20 years ago: Rhyl hit rivals Bangor City for six !

Wrexham's Lee Trundle (l) is congratulated by teammate Darren Ferguson (r) after giving his side the lead (Photo by Barrington Coombs/EMPICS via Getty Images)

Wrexham’s Lee Trundle (left) is congratulated by team-mate Darren Ferguson after giving his side the lead. Before joining the Dragons, Trundle was a star turn at Rhyl FC (Photo by Barrington Coombs/EMPICS via Getty Images)

Rhyl 6 (Chris Sharratt 1, Danny Barton 30, Lee Trundle 60 & 75, Gary McCosh 65 & 70)
Bangor City 1 (Paul Roberts 85)
League of Wales – November 3, 2000

Lee Trundle was at his dazzling best for a Rhyl side which hit their then struggling coastal rivals for six on this date 20 years ago.

The opening goal at Belle Vue, scored by Chris Sharratt in the first minute, was hotly contested with City defenders – and supporters – claiming offside.

Nonetheless, the goal stood, but the visitors responded well.

Paul Roberts – leading the line alone – went close from 10 yards, Phil Johnson missed when well placed, and City played some neat controlled football.

Then Rhyl scored again; Sharratt’s left wing cross was met back post by Danny Barton on the half hour for a decisive 2-0 advantage.

Rhodri Giggs, whose pace and control were a handful for Rhyl, sped down the right wing and sent over a back post cross where Paul Roberts was crowded out by a host of Lilywhite defenders.

Half time: Rhyl 2 Bangor 0.

The second half started evenly enough with Bangor’s Robbie Williams showing true grit in midfield and Aled Rowlands rolling up his sleeves.

But Meirion Appleton’s men failed to capitalise on chances, Paul Roberts working hard to get a clear sight of goal but sending his shot narrowly wide.

On the hour Trundle, just months away from Football League fame, ended the contest with a fierce left foot finish.

Five minutes later things went from bad to worse as Gary McCosh was unmarked to make it 4-0 to Lee Williams’ team.

Giggs went close for City with a right foot shot and made a good impression without quite forcing the game.

City battled hard, the over-worked defence tried to cope, but the tide was coming in!

A second goal for McCosh made it 5-0 on 70 minutes with a clear header and then with around a quarter of an hour left City’s tormentor in chief Trundle hit a powerful shot which was deflected past Dave Williams for six.

Bangor replied as the determined figure of Paul Roberts swept in a late consolation which he richly deserved, but mattered little in terms of the overall result.

An interesting name in the Lilywhites line-up was Neil Gibson, a former Tranmere Rovers professional and Wales Under-21 midfielder who later went on to lead hometown club Prestatyn Town to unprecedented glories.

Gibson’s stay at Rhyl in 2000-01 was brief.

Rhyl: Lee Williams, Mark Powell, Gary Curtis, Mark Antrobus, Jamie Brewerton, Steve Jones, Neil Gibson, Gary McCosh, Danny Barton, Lee Trundle, Chris Sharratt.

Bangor City: Dave Williams, Phil Johnson, Matthew Cross, Emrys Williams, Sean Hazelden, Scott Williams, Robbie Williams, Steve Cooper, Paul Roberts, Rhodri Giggs, Aled Rowlands.

Attendance: 380.

Many thanks to Mike Smith of the Citizens Choice for match information

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: