Welsh Cup classics – No 9: Back from 3-0 down to win 5-3! Holywell Town v Llandudno (2012-13)

Steve Thomas (red) in action for Holywell Town. Thomas scored twice in the 2012-13 Welsh Cup win over Llandudno at Halkyn Road

Holywell Town 5 (S Thomas 38 pen & 110; Gunther 45, P Williams 51, G Williams 108)
Llandudno 3 (Seager 13 pen & 20, Tierney 17)
After extra time
Welsh Cup round three – November 10, 2012

Massive thanks to Holywell secretary Steve Roberts for helping with this report

The season before Holywell made history by becoming the first tier-three side to reach the Welsh Cup semi-finals, Johnny Haseldin’s men were causing upsets in the 2012-13 competition.

The Welsh Alliance Wellmen trailed Cymru Alliance visitors Llandudno 3-0 after 20 minutes before launching an amazing comeback to triumph 5-3 in extra time.

Town could have found themselves a goal up in this second round encounter after only a couple of minutes.

A good move down the left involving Paul Williams and Danny Sullivan saw the former drill the ball across the face of goal and with the open target in front of him, Marc Gunther had to watch in horror as his shot flew inches over the bar.

Llandudno made the hosts pay when they won a 13th minute penalty which Dean Seager converted.

Four minutes later, the visitors doubled their lead as Connor Tierney fired into the bottom corner after a good ball in from Tom Dix.

The visitors were full of confidence now and three minutes after it was 3-0. Seager beat the oncoming keeper Danny Stanton to make it three.

In the 38th minute, Holywell won a penalty and Steve Thomas’s powerful spot kick beat Paul Whitfield to reduce the arrears.

On the stroke of half time, Gunther found himself free at the far post and headed in to put Town back in it.

Half-time: Holywell 2 Llandudno 3

Town came out in the second half confident that they could get another, and it did not take long.

Steve Thomas beat his marker and as he broke into the box, he saw Paul Williams free on the edge of the area. Paul Williams received the pass and his shot beat Whitfield to draw the scores level.

This goal spurred Holywell on and Thomas shot inches wide before Graeme Williams went close.

With five minutes remaining, Graeme Williams almost scored before a Gunther header was saved by Whitfield.

Llandudno then put pressure on the Wellmen but the home rearguard soaked up the pressure to prevent any last-minute heartache.

Full-time: Holywell 3 Llandudno 3

The game was locked at 3-3 after 90 minutes so extra time was needed to decide a winner.

In the 95th minute, Roebuck put in a great cross but Thomas’ header was saved by Whitfield.

The experienced Grant Montgomery then had a shot saved well by Stanton before another Thomas effort went inches wide.

The second period of extra time was only a few minutes old when Town went ahead for the first occasion in the tie.

Thomas shot across goal and Whitfield could only knock it into the path of Graeme Williams who had the simple task of tapping into the empty net.

The goal was met by scenes of jubilation, both on and off the field, and the celebrations were still going on when Steve Thomas added another goal to put the game beyond Llandudno’s reach.

Copyright Dave Jones © All rights reserved. CoverNews by AF themes.
%d bloggers like this: